Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isla. Would you automatically think it's Izz-la or Eye-la?

I just found out that some of my close (internet) friends who have known my babies name for months have been mispronouncing it for months. That's got me freaking that noone is going to know how to pronounce it.
I love the name too much to change it but I'm gonna hate hearing people call her the wrong thing too. Especially b/c the mispronunciation is so ugly, it's not like her name is Caroline vs. Carolyn, or Madaline vs. Madalynne.

So let's hear it, what % of Mothering forum ladies know how to pronounce it right?

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
On a first read, I'd guess iss-la (as in "kiss") or ees-la (like the Spanish 'isla" for island). I don't think I would ever guess Eye-la.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Neither...I would pronounce it EES-LA...long "e" at the beginning. Like the spanish pronunciation "Isla Bonita".

It's a pretty name.

ETA: If you are choosing to pronounce it EYE-la, with the Isla spelling, I think she will be destined for a lifetime of name mishaps.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your thread came up in "New Posts" so I'll answer even though I don't belong here.

I know how to pronounce Isla. Have they never heard of Isla Fisher?

I don't think Isla would be a huge deal if you run into people who don't know how to pronounce it. Correcting them once should be enough. Isla's simple, it's not like a huge 7-syllable name to repeat over and over.

Tell them it's like "island" without the "nd". They don't say izz-land (hopefully)!

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliHope View Post
Isla. Would you automatically think it's Izz-la or Eye-la?
I would say it like the Spanish pronunciation which in my mind would be the correct one.
I would not say Eye-la.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Guess I'd have pronounced it ees-la, like Madonna's song, "La Isla Bonita". But I think both pronunciations are correct. Doesn't the actress, Isla Fisher also pronounce her name eye-la?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.