Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We won't need one (I hope) for the first few months, but I"m just wondering that if I'm not actually giving birth at a hospital, when we do want to try out different pumps...can I rent one from a hospital? Or is there another place I can go to rent pumps?

Thanks!
andrea

·
Registered
754 Posts
It may differ from hospital to hospital, but at my local one, they have a "maternity store" that anyone can buy/rent things from regardless of whether or not you gave birth there. You may want to call the maternity unit of your local hospital to check. If they do not rent pumps there, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
With my first baby I rented a lactina from a small lactation business in the area. I think it was in the yellow pages under breast pumps even.
I just had to purchase the tubing kit and that was mine to keep, the pump was rented. So if the hospital doesn't work out start calling LC's to see if they know of a business in the area that rents them out. HTH

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When I needed to rent a pump for a month or two, I called around to some different places. I found some for rent at a medical supply store (like, where you could buy walkers or adaptive aids for the bathtub and stuff like that). I also found that a semi-local drug store rented them... which surprised me because I live out in the middle of rural corn field SD. That's who I eventually went with.

So try calling around - you might be surprised! I didn't even think of calling the hospital - and I had a hospital birth where all my natural wishes were respected and that encouraged breastfeeding. I just didn't even think of it. If nothing else, a lactation consultant at the hospital would know where you could rent them.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
We got a recommendation from our ped (got ours from a local medical supply place.) Good luck!

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I know my hospital wouldn't care if you birthed there or not. The LCs have a separate office and everything, plus a store and all that. They rent Medela Lactinas, which are hospital grade, and thus if you're buying one, you're probably not going to be wanting that particular pump (unless you need to exclusively pump for some reason).

In my area, there's a maternity shop that rents pumps. I agree with the PP that said to call your local LLL leader. They would certainly know who to rent pumps from.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Not in your club (not even pregnant!
) but I know that my hospital doesn't even rent them out, nor do most around here.

Some LC's rent them out. Sometimes WIC will help you rent one. I rented mine from a pharmacy/medical supply store. Shop around for prices, and some places may offer free delivery (no big deal if it's down the road, but if it's 30min away....)

Good luck!

Kelly

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.