Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if you can what material could you use? I just bought some very pretty french terry and was wondering how that would work for a prefold. I also do not own a serger, so I would either have to zig zag the edges or sew the good sides together, turn and topstich. I really have no idea where to even begin though, so if anyone has any idea how to make a prefold...please enlighten me, lol!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Yes Ma'am! I make mine out of t-shirts. I'd use the french terry wrong-side out, just one layer on the outside to make them snappi-able. I've got instructions in my sig.

eta: if you don't have a serger, you'll definitely want to use a knit so you aren't dealing with ravelling. I'd straight-stitch around the outside edge, say 3/8" in, and then zigzag over the raw edges.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mehndi mama...do you know which absorbs best, diaper flannel or french knit terry? I definitely want the terry on the layers I can see since it's so pretty, but should I have hidden layers of flannel or terry? The link in your sig is so great! I may be making a trip to the thrift shop for some t-shirts, lol. We love the prefolds in our house!

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've been experimenting with this, and I would zig zag the edges. Turned and topstitched looks much nicer, but I found it hard going - it makes for a very bulky, rigid seam and the corners get bunched and I broke multiple machine needles on the thick areas.

Lucky for me, my mum gave me her old overlocker last week and I took off all those hard edges and replaced them with pretty rainbow serging. But I do have some things I zig zagged and they've lasted fine - just use a wide, close stitch.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I'm not sure which would be more absorbent, but the French terry will hold up better, definitely. Flannel is nice, but it gets fuzzy, then pilly, then finally sheds before it starts to fall apart....and then you get these nifty hard little fiber-balls wedged into the corners of the *inside* of the diaper. So I try to stick with non-shedding fabrics for that reason.
You could always weigh a sqare yard of one, and then of the other - the heavier fabric will absorb more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I happen to have a metre of each right here (sewing/computer/junk room, lol) and the terry is definitely heavier. I am also planning to make some wipes with the terry and flannel, so I have a lot of sewing to start. I think I may have to buy some matching thread though...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just made my first prefold. I used old spit up stained baby clothes in 0-3 month size for the soaker, then used flannel sheets for the outside. pretty neat. I will have to let you know how it works tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts