Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe we could compile some ideas. I feel so
(I won't use the puke smilie, it actually makes me want to puke, seriously) So far the only thing that has helped at all is Chamomile tea. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Sorry you're feeling so bad. Eating a few raw almonds help a great deal. Always keep a few in your pocket. I have heard ginger is good, though I personally couldn't go near the stuff when nauseous. An enzyme in papaya called papain may help and HCl and Betain, all of which can be bought at the health food store. I hope you find something that works for you. Ooh, one last thing is to make sure you eat protein rich foods when feeling sick every couple of hours.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
My dd is now 8 yrs, so it's been a long time since I was pregnant. Oh, but I REMEMBER the nausea. For me, it was morning, noon and night sickness. At the peak of it, I would throw up ten times a day.

Crystalized ginger was good (Whole Foods has it). Also, having plain rice already cooked in the refrigerator was a life saver. That way, if I actually experienced hunger, I could, Quick!, eat something nutritious and bland, before the hunger progressed to nausea. I would also cook beans, so I could have rice & beans if I wanted. But usually just rice.

Certain smells could make me worse or better. You might go try different aromas at a health food store - like different essential oils. Don't necessarily put them on you - just where you can smell them.

Strangely enough, eating out helped. I didn't have to smell things cooking, I suppose.

Looking back, I wonder how I made it. I'd rather go through labor again!

My midwife told me that it usually lessens by about the 16th week. And on one morning of my 16th week, I woke up, and the nausea had just...lifted! I wonder now if she was really just planting a suggestion that I accepted and so it happened.

Good luck! And hang in there! It will eventually pass.

(This was my first time to post on this board. It's been so long since my pregnancy, that I usually don't feel I have anything to offer, or that I've forgotten how it was. But, like I said, I really, really remember the unending nausea.)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Peppermint is very good for tummy ailments. Try peppermint tea, that can help. I would second the ginger - try it crystalized, some health food stores have it as a syrup you can add to hot water for ginger tea or get ginger ale (not just soda - try a health food store or natural food store; you want ginger ale made with real ginger). I've had friends have really good luck with papaya extract, although it didn't do much for me.

My best advice, if possible, is to see if something specific is triggering it. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. For a lot of women it's smells - avoid them. Or being too hungry - nibble all day. See if something specific is setting you off. With my first I had to nibble all day and couldn't go into the meat section at the grocery store or cook raw meat - the smell.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Vitamin b-6 is the only thing that has worked for me so far. It took a couple of days to kick in, but I feel soooo much better. The idea of food is still unpleasant, but I don't feel queasy all the time anymore. I fought this recommendation because pre-natals make me sick, but the tablets are much smaller and don't have that funky smell.

·
Banned
533 Posts
peppermint and ginger teas worked wonders for me, and saltines when nothing else would stay down.
Celestial seasonings make a Tummy Tamer tea that has peppermint and chamomile, since you've said that works for you.

I know this won't be popular on MDC, but: As a last resort, if you are losing weight quickly or dehydrating, you can take ½ a Unisom at bedtime and it should control your nausea throughout the night and most of the next day. You can read up on it online/ talk to your Dr. Many western MD types recommend it, but it may not gel with you, personally. It's usually taken in combo with B6, which is also great for the skin, in case you're getting those first trimester pimples.
I only started taking it after I lost 12 pounds in 2 weeks, and I used it when nothing else was working.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Drinking cola can help quite a bit too. My MW recommends this for people who have horrible morning sickness/during labor if you're vomiting. Cola syrup has been sold by pharmacists for years to combat nausea, but you can just buy Coke/Pepsi and sip on it. There's something about the combination of stuff in there that really does help.

I am NOT advocating drinking a lot of soda, but if you're desperate, try it. When you start feeling better, you can stop.

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
I use peppermint as well, peppermint extract. I put a couple of drops on the back of my hand, lick it, and drink a glass of water. It takes the edge off.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Things that have helped this pregnancy for me are:
-ginger ale (but you gotta make sure it's actually got ginger brew in it Canada dry doesn't work)
-peppermint tea
-walking
-eating small meals through out the day
-my ob nurse gave me ginger preggie pops and it was awesome (of course this was after I puked in their bathroom)

Also my neighbor swore by yoga. I have a hard time doing yoga at my house 'cause anytime I sit on the floor the dog, the cat or dd gets in my lap.

Hope you feel better!

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Chamomile tea worked for me, too....just don't drink TOO much if you are very early in your pregnancy, as it is a mild emmenogogue.

For me, the MOMENT I felt ill or badly about a food or drink, I had to put it down, and get it out of my range of smell. If I was eating a peanut butter sandwich, and started to feel sick, I would have to immediately get rid of it and wash my hands, otherwise I would puke.

Don't force yourself to eat something unappetizing!!! My dh kept insisting I just eat SOMETHING, but every time I did that I ended up vomiting. Only eat what you can tolerate.

Some things that worked for me were:
sliced apple
sliced cucumbers
teas
mashed potatoes

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Here's what has worked for me:

making sure I eat at least a few bites of something at least every 2 hours when awake (until just recently, my stomach's "empty" signal was totally different than what it had been pre-pregnancy, so waiting until I felt hungry was not working!)

eating at least a few bites the moment I first wake up. I keep pretzels in a plastic box next to the bed.

not drinking too much water first thing in the morning; a dry mouth can be relieved by holding and swishing a small mouthful of water before swallowing

eating ASAP after vomiting

keeping cooked rice in the fridge for easy reheating. During severe nausea, I put just a sprinkle of soy sauce and sprinkle of sugar on it. Other times, I use seaweed/sesame seed/dried egg sprinkles from the Asian grocery--high in protein and one of the most appetizing foods for me right now!

brushing teeth frequently but NOT BRUSHING TONGUE except at least-queasy time of day

not cooking on an empty stomach--I nibble a dried apricot or two as I start cooking

not cooking much at all--now's the time to indulge in frozen foods, restaurants, and asking partner to cook!

responding ASAP to any specific food craving

not eating something I don't feel like eating just because it's about to go bad if I don't, it's cheap, etc.

eating a little less at a sitting than normal--bring a storage container to a restaurant and take the rest home for later

having 2 or 3 snacks, interspersed with naps, in the morning and 3 full meals (plus more snacks!) later in the day

avoiding bending over from the waist or sitting up from lying on my back (roll to side first)

ramen noodles when recovering from dehydration--I know, they are not the healthiest food, but I love them and they force/allow me to drink a LOT of water! Also, I seem to need the salt when dehydrated.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
for me, ginger tea and ginger chews were life savers... or rather, clothing + seat savers. i had the worst nausea on the bus ride up to the college (and then later in the day, actually got sick constantly in Physics).

the ginger chews helped when i couldn't actually drink the tea... but strong, very hot ginger tea did much better things for me than the chews. i think that was mostly a texture issue though, because just having anything on or around or in my mouth made me sick.

also indulging in my cravings seriously helped. instead of eating what was good for me or what we had around or whatever, i started eating only what i craved... and amazingly enough, i stopped getting sick as often. it did cost us a lot more money but it was so worth it not to be getting sick all the time.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Different things helped in my last two pregnancies.

My first pregnancy, anything ice cold and icy/slushy felt great. I remember eating a lot of forzen raspberries, and could only drink ice cold water (normally I drink it room temp, but that made me gag). Anything creamy made me want to barf - I thought I was the only pregnant woman who couldn't stand ice cream. I ate a lot of sorbet though - real icy sorbet, not creamy faux sorbet.

This pregnancy, different things felt good. For awhile, I had Ricola herbal cough drops with me at all times, because they felt soooo good on my stomach. Then it was sour candy - for some reason the really strong sweet/sour of it helped take away some of the nausea.

Mint also worked well both times, especially mint tea or Altoids.

Definitely eat what you are craving (unless healthwise it's really getting out of control) - I could absolutely not eat something unless I really wanted it. I figured as long as my overall diet was healthy (and if not, then I had prenatals as backup), then if one night all I could stand to eat was potato chips dipped in plain sour cream (that actually happened), then so be it.

Speaking of prenatals, sometimes those will really make you sick. My first pregnancy I switched brands and then felt fine. This pregnancy I just didn't take them for awhile, then when I started feeling better they were fine.

Hang in there - I absolutely hated dealing with nausea (I'd rather give birth!), but it did end right at around 3 months both times.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I work prn as a rn on a labor/delivery unit. We see moms with extreme nausea/hyperemesis. One of the older docs (who's wife was a midwife) would order these pressure point wristbands with a little plastic bump on them. I have heard they market them for sea sickness on cruiseships and the like. The bump is positioned on the inside of the wrist centered 2 fingerbreadths above the joint. I guess it is a type of accupressure.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Most successful for me:

- Drinking ginger ale
- Sniffing a cloth with a few drops of peppermint oil on it (kept it in my purse, very handy for when you have to walk somewhere that is particularly stinky, like the fish market!)

·
Registered
272 Posts
s to you mama!

I had nausea for the first 5 months of my pg. It was terrible. I literally could
not stand the smell of ANYTHING cooking in my house. We ate out A LOT, esp.
at the nearby natural foods store.

I found that I could stomach liquid foods but not "solid" or chunky foods, so I
ate a LOT of soups. I also had 2-3 stonyfield farms yogurt smoothies a day.

I also found that there was a specific "time" during the day when I wouldn't
get sick (for me, it was 9-noon everyday) so I would just line up the soups
and smoothies and just eat, eat, eat during that time (this is also when I took
the prenatal vitamin--the only time of day I could stand it).

One drink that really helped me was Constant Comment decaf tea. I loved
the smell and somehow the warmth of the tea calmed me and made me feel
a little stronger. I had this for breakfast. Sad, I know.

Also wanted to mention that just because YOU'RE losing weight doesn't mean
that your baby is in danger. I lost weight for the first 3 months, plateaued (sp?)
in the next 2 months, and gained 18 pounds in the last 4 months, and ds was
still a healthy 8 lb 2 oz at birth.

Good luck!
Priya :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Popsicles were the one thing that got me through those first few months. They were especially helpful when my gag reflex would kick in, from smelling something.

For me, drinking water became a big no no. Any liquid I drank had to have either sugar or salt in it, or it came right back up. I drank a lot of gatoraide.

Also, keeping something in my pocket that had a pleasant smell to it (I used a sample sized bar of Burt's Bees soap) really helped. I'd just pull it out and hold it to my nose if a smell was bothering me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still have a box of gingersnap cookies in my car, a baggy full of them in my desk at work, and some more here at home. You can even stick some in your purse or pocket so they are ready when it starts to hit. They always helped to settle my stomache. I haven't had to munch on them much in the past couple months, but now (6wks to go) I feel fine most of the time.

Now when I do get sick, it is from brushing my teeth or a smell or something as minor as wiping my dd's runny nose. It hits hard and fast and there is NOTHING anything could to do stop it. I run to the nearest sink and do my preggo thing and then I feel fine again. I just go on with my day. It is much easier to deal with when it last 90 seconds instead of several hours worth.

Good Luck and I hope it eases up soon. Just remember, you won't be pregnant forever!! Eventually that baby has to come out and this has to go away!!!

TerriKay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts