Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason why I'm asking this is because one of my dad's cousins, well not his 1st, but one of them. Just had her 2nd baby yesterday, she had the baby at the hospital that is near me, also the one I volunteer at. So, I saw her this morning and saw that their baby is on Simliac Formula and so I asked her why aren't breastfeeding it, did you do it with your 1st as well? She said she's on blood thinner and so on, which I'm not going to into. She said her both of her births are vaginally. Then when I told my mom when she got home from work. She told me what happen to her when she had her 1st child, almost 2 yrs ago, not sure if it was pre existing or just happen while giving birth, but anyway she had blood clotting problems.

Think thats it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The meds can be looked up in Dr. Hale's book - Medications and Mother's milk. That is the best resource for a mama to use to determine if she should breastfeed while on certain meds. The book also lists other medications for treatment which may be better solutions for a breastfeeding mama.

Jen

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmom713
The meds can be looked up in Dr. Hale's book - Medications and Mother's milk. That is the best resource for a mama to use to determine if she should breastfeed while on certain meds. The book also lists other medications for treatment which may be better solutions for a breastfeeding mama.

Jen
Jen,

, for you information on my thread.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yes, if the drug is Coumadin (warfarin) it is listed as safe in the books. I wouldn't expect an OB to know that though, but I looked it up for a past client after a cesarean birth when they wanted to put her on it to prevent a DVT.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TattooedMama
Yes, if the drug is Coumadin (warfarin) it is listed as safe in the books. I wouldn't expect an OB to know that though, but I looked it up for a past client after a cesarean birth when they wanted to put her on it to prevent a DVT.
Jessica,

, for your response to my question, but not sure what medicine she's on.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessicaabruno
Jen,

, for you information on my thread.

Quote:

Jessica,

, for your response to my question, but not sure what medicine she's on.
Update:

Got Dr. Thomas Hale book again. Looked it up and it said its perfectly fine to bf with that. Wish I had that information when I saw her and her new baby in the hospital a week ago so I could have told her the information or gave her a copy of the information, and so on, but it didn't happen that way. Wish Dr. Hale's book was also Pregnancy, Childbirth, Parenting, Beyond section as well because non medical people need to know about this information as well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Quote:

Update:

Got Dr. Thomas Hale book again. Looked it up and it said its perfectly fine to bf with that. Wish I had that information when I saw her and her new baby in the hospital a week ago so I could have told her the information or gave her a copy of the information, and so on, but it didn't happen that way. Wish Dr. Hale's book was also Pregnancy, Childbirth, Parenting, Beyond section as well because non medical people need to know about this information as well.
It's not too late to give her the information, or for her to bf.

·
Registered
84 Posts
yes, she can bf!! i did when i was on coumidin and fragmin (low molecular weight heprin) for my 5th baby. I had massive dvt's and pe's so I had no choice to be on thinners. HTH I am a lurker because I just don't have time to post, Meg

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by lissabob
It's not too late to give her the information, or for her to bf.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowymom
yes, she can bf!! i did when i was on coumidin and fragmin (low molecular weight heprin) for my 5th baby. I had massive dvt's and pe's so I had no choice to be on thinners. HTH I am a lurker because I just don't have time to post, Meg

Mel and Meg,

, but I haven't seen her since then or don't have her snail or email address so I'm at a dead end with that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts