Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing a delayed vaxx schedule (which seemed to annoy the nurses at my pedi's office for some reason) and so far, DS has had IPV, HIB, DTap and HepB since those were required by the state and the daycare he's going to attend. I was on the fence about vaxxing at all, but I have to admit I was scared into it by the ped and hadn't done enough research. I was particularly scared by pertussis but stupidly scared by the prospect of "biting children" from "foreign countries" by a doctor, when I questioned by HepB was necessary since I was HepB-. The doctor agreed that promiscuity and drug use isn't a concern now obviously but children bite and that's how they've seen cases of the HepB being contracted. So I did it recently since DS is about to start daycare (I declined it at birth)...<br><br>
Even though Cave's book says getting the HepB shot right before daycare is acceptable, I'm sorry that I did... I mean what kind of daycare lets biting children run rampant, let alone the odds that those biting children have HepB? Yes, they're odds, but I'm more concerned about the odds of DS having a long-term reaction (so far he's had no reaction to the shots). Can I stop the HepB doses midway? I don't see a reason not to but now I'm afraid that I've started, I've put his immune system in some sort of weird limbo if I stop. Silly, probably, I know, but I'm just wondering.<br><br>
I'm also wondering why the nurses are pushing Prevnar so hard at me. Every time I come in for his shots (I spaced them out which made them even more annoyed), "What about the Prevnar?" every time, warning me DS will "be behind" and more vulnerable to pneumonia (using the recent article that came out saying Prevnar was great for ear infections and pneumonia in infants). I told them " no prevnar until at least 7 months" and even then, I don't think I'll give it to DS at all.<br><br>
Any thoughts about stopping vaxxing midway? DS is almost 4 months.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
There is no harm in stopping any vax after they have done had one or more of them. Be sure to watch your ds like a hawk after getting the DTaP since that one is the one that is the most suspect in SIDS.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
Also, read the pediatrician scaremongering thread!<br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=446739" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=446739</a><br><br>
It sounds like your ped's practice has been telling some of the same sorts of stories.<br><br>
Good for you for thinking stuff over for yourself!

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
You can stop at any time. Furthermore, you can start again at any time <i>without</i> having to repeat a dose. The reasons the nurses are pushing Prevnar is because that and Rotateq are the only ones you haven't gotten! Rotateq is newer, so they probably aren't as concerned about it. If you'd gotten Prevnar but not Hib, they'd be hounding you about Hib. They just want you to fully vaccinate your child, that's all.<br><br>
You don't have to have your child up to date in order to send him to daycare. You just need to claim a religious exemption or philosophical exemption, depending on where you live. You don't have to belong to any specific religion to claim a religious exemption. You simply state that it's against your own personal beliefs. That's it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
You can stop. DS had his 2m shots and that was all.<br><br>
PLEEEEASE be careful with the DTaP. That one scares me to death!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts