Mothering Forum banner

Can you taste pesticides?

8K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  flutemandolin 
#1 ·
I can taste pesticides. Really. It tastes very similar to the smell I remember of my dad spraying our fruit trees.
(And don't ask me how I can link tastes and smells; I just can. Actually I think tastes/smells are linked for a lot of people). Then I get very nauseated after I have eaten something that tastes like pesticides. I can especially taste pesticides on non-organic strawberries and broccoli. Today I just ate a seriously pesticide-laden peach. (Bought at the store, so I didn't actually SEE anyone spraying pesticides on it, but I could taste it.)

I'm very sensitive when it comes to tastes/textures/smells--what my dh would call "picky." (And that sensitivity does make it hard to eat, sometimes.)

So...........anyone else? Or am I really strange, like a human canary? (You know, the birds used to detect carbon monoxide in mines).

And........I think I've just seriously convinced myself to go more organic. ($$$$$$$$$$$, but worth it!)

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for responding!

It's more than just a "not-so-fresh, not-so-organic" taste, though. It's a down-right, "hey! This is pesticidy." (If that were a word.) Then I get really nauseated. It doesn't happen with everything I eat, but when it does happen, whew. That peach today was a real bummer. Think I'm going to go puke now, or just feel like it.

#5 ·
Well, we are technically living in the poverty zone, but we buy organic fruits and veggies. I think it is super important to not be ingesting those pesticides.
I once read that strawberries (among other things) were one of the worst for pesticide residue.
If you do continue to eat non-organic, peel the peel-able produce and wash them with castile soap like Dr. Bronners.
I know the taste that you are talking about. Your senses are right on.

#7 ·
Eliot Coleman wrote in his book The New Organic Grower that the flavor of carrots are especially affected by pesticides. That's scary because the carrots themselves don't even come into contact with sprays, just the leaves! That means the pesticide is incorporated into plant tissue.
I always think organic tastes better, maybe it's a bias but I bet if I did a blind taste test I could pick out the organically grown produce.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.