Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH is really pushing to name the baby after his great grandmother - Clara. I think its way too old fashioned, and I usually like old fashioned, but that is WAY old fashioned! And it doesn't seem to have any nickname that would be cute for a little girl. I suggested Claire, but he didn't like that because of the Breakfast Club movie.
: Clarabel reminds me of Thomas the Tank Engine's freight car (you can tell I have a three year old boy).

Any ideas of variations or additions to make it a little different? My top name choice is Ruth, but he flat out rejected that on the same grounds as I rejected Clara!

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Personally, I like Clara. I think Clarabel sounds like a cow.

No offense, I don't like Ruth either.

Variations: there's also Clarine and Clarisse (which I prefer to Clarice, but I'm odd that way)

If you go with Clarisse or Clarice, you do have the choice of nicknaming the baby Reese.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I adore the name Claire. Or Clare, however you'd want to spell it. I love it, in fact it would be by top choice for a girl name, except it's DH's ex's middle name (a bit of a stretch I know, to not choose a name, but she's a hateful woman and it doesn't leave a great taste in my mouth, you know?).

But since you don't have the negative association, I think Claire is a fantastic name! Clara is cute too

·
Registered
89 Posts
Clarissa, Clarinda, Clarimonde, Claretta, Clarity or, since Clara means 'bright, famous, clear' you could use a name that also means bright, like Phoebe or Zahra.

I also think just Clara is really cute and not old-fashioned at all. I think it definitely is ready for a comeback.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I love Clara. Ruth actually seems more old fashioned to me than Clara! hehe Clara seems more feminine to me and I can see that being a name for a baby on up to an adult.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So many great ideas! Thanks! I guess it isn't as unheard of as I thought. We actually have 3 Claras in our families between the two of us so I would like to work it in if I can.

Clarabel also makes me think of a cartoon cow
And I like Clarisse, but DH always reminds me of Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I know someone who named their little girl Clara. I don't think it's as old fashioned as you do. It's a nice name for all ages - not too kiddish but not too mature.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like Clara, too! I think 'old fashioned' names are coming back, and that one's just unique enough that there shouldn't be too many classmates with the same name, and still doesn't sound like an old lady name. It's very pretty!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Oooh, I'm giggling because in our town the ONE clown that works is named Clarabelle the Clown. LOL.

I love the name Clara and don't think it sounds old fashioned at all. But that's just my opinion. I also think Claire is a beautiful name.

As for variations, would you consider dropping a letter and naming her Cara? Otherwise, I like the other suggestions...

good luck!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher View Post
I love Clara. Ruth actually seems more old fashioned to me than Clara! hehe Clara seems more feminine to me and I can see that being a name for a baby on up to an adult.
:

All I think about with Ruth is "yeah, we'll have a little, Baby Ruth." Yeah, I don't think so. Or an 80 year old.

Clara is pretty and Clair or Ciara or Cara are awesome nicknames/variations. Plus what's wrong with The Breakfast Club? That movie is awesome!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleCrisp View Post
So many great ideas! Thanks! I guess it isn't as unheard of as I thought. We actually have 3 Claras in our families between the two of us so I would like to work it in if I can.

Clarabel also makes me think of a cartoon cow
And I like Clarisse, but DH always reminds me of Jodie Foster in Silence of the Lambs.
Now I can agree with him on that one because all I can think of is the way he said it, all creep and such. "Clarice, Clarice." He used her name all. the. time. I nixed Adrian when my DH suggested it because I just want to yell it or be like "Yo, Adrian" after Rocky. In the accent, of course

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.