Mothering Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.intelligencer.ca/2015/10/07/schabas-criticizes-flu-vaccine-program

BELLEVILLE - A former chief medical officer of health for Ontario is blasting the province's influenza vaccination program, saying generally healthy people who aren't at serious risk of flu complications probably don't need the vaccine.

“It's here if you want it … but I'm not actively promoting it for the general population,” Dr. Richard Schabas said Wednesday at a meeting of the Hastings and Prince Edward Counties Board of Health in Belleville, where he's the counties' medical officer of health.
He said there are signs this year's vaccine may be a “poor match” against the strain expected to be prevalent this year.

“Last year they got it wrong and this year there are indications they may have gotten it wrong this year,” he said. Schabas noted a mismatch this year may not be to the degree of that seen last year, when the United States' Centers for Disease Control estimated effectiveness at 23 per cent.
Because of last year's mismatch, he said, “We immunized five million people (in Ontario) at a cost of about $100 million for no net benefit.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
It seems crass to talk about money when lives are on the line, but 100 million dollars could have well been spent elsewhere on health care within Ontario, and probably with a lot more bang for buck.

Just as a fun aside:

There are 13 million people in Ontario.

Flu vax rate: 5/13.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
Yes, one can imagine many more effective public health strategies that could be carried out with that much money.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Could be interesting to discuss that point - what would you do with $100 million in public health?

Reactions: Anne Jividen

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
Could be interesting to discuss that point - what would you do with $100 million in public health?

I am not a doctor, and I would listen to those in front line before deciding if I were queen....

That being said, and just musing aloud, I think investing in grants to build separate sick/well waiting rooms (ideally with separate entrances) could go far. The number of people who "catch something" at a clinic is really high.

I would also be happy with funneling the money into a fund for those who are sick, need specific drugs, and cannot afford them.

I would like to see some basic dental care covered.

·
Registered
18,843 Posts
I would go for promoting breastfeeding. I'm not sure about the maternal/paternal leave times available in Canada, but if another two or three months of maternal leave could help support longer breastfeeding, that would also be huge.

There are few things that would provide more bang for the buck than increased and extended breastfeeding. Even helps with proper development of the teeth!

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I would go for promoting breastfeeding. I'm not sure about the maternal/paternal leave times available in Canada, but if another two or three months of maternal leave could help support longer breastfeeding, that would also be huge.

There are few things that would provide more bang for the buck than increased and extended breastfeeding. Even helps with proper development of the teeth!
Canada has excellent maternity/paternity leave. 1 year of combined leave.

Our breastfeeding rates are pretty good, comparatively speaking (although more is always better!)
http://kellymom.com/fun/trivia/bf-rates-2004/

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If I were him, I'd watch my back. That kind of talk in the US, particularly in Florida as of late, may get you six feet under.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Something I find interesting is that Schabas is speaking out as a former chief medical officer. I don't think a current one could voice this view while still in that position with his/her job being on the line.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I like this question! The answer depends on the country, region, and unique circumstances of the populace.

In this country, it would be good to address prescription drug abuse. http://www.newsobserver.com/opinion/op-ed/article29883478.html

This problem includes doctors themselves: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/819223

One of the reasons this is such a public health problem is because (no) thanks to our health care system, addiction treatment is cost-prohibitive for too many Americans.

The public health issue that terrifies me personally is antibiotic overuse.

Dare I say it? Developing better vaccines would be nice. Last I heard, (and please correct me if I'm wrong), there are no new and more effective vaccines in development for mumps, pertussis, etc.

The bottom line? There are many public health issues that are much more pressing than people questioning the vaccine schedule. Many.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I'm not sure how far $100M would go but my wishlist would be...

I would like Naturopaths, Herbalists, Chiros, Acupuncturists, Holistic dentists, (REAL) Dieticians and mental health therapies (more talk than drugs) added to the healthcare plan. I would like to see clinics set up that encompass all aspects of healthcare within so that it would be truly patient first.

And I want to see programs in schools starting in kindergarten that emphasis each individual's own role in their health. Something with emphasis on eating whole foods; not only teaching kids in every grade to cook but how to grow food.

That's a start...:grin:

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
And I want to see programs in schools starting in kindergarten that emphasis each individual's own role in their health. Something that with emphasis on eating whole foods; not only teaching kids in every grade to not only cook but how to grow food.

That's a start...:grin:
I agree!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts