Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in Texas, am from Seattle, want to come back to the NW region, love Vancouver, husband looking at job at UBC, have two little ones, tired of conservative culture! BUT, can we afford to buy in Vancouver? I wonder if there are any areas within commuting distance to UBC where people can still buy.
: Thanks!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I suppose it depends on what you mean by 'commute' and what you can afford

Prices around Vancouver are going up right now, and I figure that they'll continue to do so until 2010 -- then plummet!
Yes, the some of the burbs are more reasonable. And yes, we have a transit system involves buses, West Coast Express (a train, essentially), a skytrain, and a sea bus.
Maybe if you said how far you (or your husband) wouldn't mind commuting to UBC, we might be able to offer so ideas.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Moving to Vancouver is a dream of mine.

If your dh is going to work for UBC, have you tried campus family housing?

I remember surfing and finding really nice apartments for staff at UBC.

Gee, you could perhaps live my dream.

Did you hear they want to rename Texas Tex. Why, you might ask, because they sent their Ass to Washington
:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I love that joke about Texas! And oh is it so true!

Well, my dh is just looking at this job and may not even get close to getting it but I get a little ahead of myself sometimes. He was thinking he could commute 30 minutes per way. We would really like to buy but it seems impossible! I found some very small houses in Port Coquitlam that might be within reach....is that very far away? Maybe I should look at condos? What is a coop in BC....is that a condo? I would seriously consider renting if he got the job but it is hard to think of all of that money just going to the landlord after owning a house here.
:
: Jani

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, yes it is a job at UBC - I know it is stuck out on a peninsula so that would affect commuting time!
:

·
Registered
652 Posts
OK, please correct me if I'm wrong Vancouver ladies. My BIL/SIL live in Port Coquitlam so my info is second hand (and subject to my faulty memory!).

PoCo to UBC driving is something like an hour or hour and 15 minutes with traffic. I know that the West Coast Express and the Sky Train only go downtown, not directly to UBC so it can be a transit nightmare to get there. The general rule when living in Vancouver is that you don't want to cross any bridges when commuting. Bridges are nightmares and they're everywhere! I think your best bet is to look into the faculty housing.

I hope he gets the job. I'm from Missouri and lemme tell ya, BC is like heaven!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh jee, POrt C is out!
Well, I live in Texas right now and BC does seem like heaven and I am glad you said that because I have only visited and didn't know for sure! I have to say, almost every job available to him is in a really expensive place. I guess we are just going to have to get creative! Thanks!
Jani

1 - 7 of 7 Posts