Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a comprehensive source for year-to-year vaccine uptake rates in Canada? I'd be interested in national and provincial data.

The Canadian Medical Association is considering, (and perhaps already passed), a forced vaccination resolution based on the claim that fewer Canadians are getting vaccinated. I was wondering if there's merit to this claim or if they're telling the same lie that we're hearing in the U.S.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's an alarmist article on the issue. http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/vaccination-rates-are-plummeting/

But do you know what type of evidence it's missing? THE KIND YOU NEED TO SUPPORT THE BLOODY TITLE! :bang

Get a load of this:

For now, we can only estimate coverage across Canada.
Oh yea. There's the proof of plummeting rates. There's the impetus that the CMA needs to call for an exemption ban. Let's base all social policy on this sort of speculation. :eyesroll

The PHAC says that about 62 per cent of Canadian two-year-olds were up to date for all recommended vaccines in the most recent year they checked, 2009.
Yes? And? That sounds like U.S. toddlers, and we have actual vaccination requirements here. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/imz-managers/coverage/nis/child/tables/13/tab02_antigen_iap_2013.pdf

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Calm down. Take a deep breath. Put down those handfuls of hair.

It is sort of irritating when they are so obvious about the dishonesty and manipulation.

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too late. I'm bald now.

You know, if you need lies to push for a policy, maybe it's not a good policy. :hammer

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Hep B coverage isn't too impressive!

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People these days just don't know what it was like before childhood Hep B vaccination. They don't remember the terror that parents lived through, the exuberant gratitude when the vaccine came out, and the long lines around the block to get children vaccinated.

Oh. Wait.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
We get vaccines for illnesses that are either rare and deadly or common and not very deadly and in both cases they can be a hard sell.

And then there is HPV which is common, but doesn't exactly qualify as an illness, takes 30 or 40 years to become deadly and doesn't even do that in most people.

Reactions: oaksie68

·
Registered
824 Posts
Hep B vaccination is funny here, some provinces treat it differently. I've been doing comparisons of schedules in different provinces for birth to 6 years to show DP how different it can be. Some do it at birth, some 2 months and some not at all in those years. I remember getting my Hep B shots in grade 4, the girl who went ahead of me (we got them in school) fainted and it terrified me.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I wrote a long response, only for the server to be down! Grrr......

We have no idea what our immunization rates are and if they are rising or falling, although people may have "ballpark" ideas. We keep lousy stats.

A brief version: The gap between where we are now and mandatory vaccines is huge in Canada, and the CMA being pro forced vaccines doesn't change that. I do not see mandatory vaccines happening anytime soon.

It might even be against our Constitution to force vaccines:
http://vaccinechoicecanada.com/exemptions/immunization-is-not-mandatory-in-canada/

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
How a good policy is determined: whether it can be enforced on the masses.
I'm not sure how this is going to work. The right to refuse medical treatment is enshrined in our Charter of Rights.

I don't think doctors will be able to "fire" patients who refuse to vaccinate because our healthcare is universal and they are employees of the taxpayer. Furthermore vaccines are given by nurses in health clinics in the two provinces I've lived in; I've never had a GP mention vaccines unless I brought it up. And really, do the GP's want the responsibility of hounding patients about vaccines when they don't even give them? My own GP has a two year wait list of people wanting to have him for their doctor. I don't think he has the time to be giving lectures on something his patients will have to get elsewhere. Smoking and obesity are bigger factors (read bigger costs) than relatively benign childhood diseases:

the annual health care cost per smoker is $3,071, $1,453 for excess weight and $712 for those who are physically inactive.
I wonder if this is a case of making a lot of noise pretending to be doing something so as not to piss off the corporations who are most likely behind the demand for these changes.

·
Registered
18,825 Posts
Perhaps they are hoping that making noise will convince parents to vaccinate?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
This seems to be the best article regarding the CMA statement regarding vaccinations:
http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/0827-na-shots

This is interesting:
But in a move that could fuel the anti-vaccination movement, delegates to the Canadian Medical Association’s annual general council meeting Wednesday overwhelmingly rejected a call for a national program to compensate those who suffer the extremely rare injuries that can be caused by vaccines.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts