Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: I ate about 3 chocolate covered cherries over the course of this past week (I love them this time of year). Anyway, I just checked the ingredients and saw that the second one after sugar is chocolate liquor. Waaahhhh! I had no idea. Do you think it's burned off when they make the candies? I feel so bad....

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I think you are probably not endangering your baby, but, personally, I would avoid those particular candies for now. I think it is especially important in the first trimester.

Scientists just don't know how much alcohol is safe during pregnancy. I've heard that, in Europe, women are advised to drink one glass or less of wine each day during pregnancy (as opposed to our recommendation to drink zero.) The problem is, no one knows where the danger line is. But, luckily, I'm pretty sure that line is a ways further along than a few chocolate liquers!

--willo

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Gotta agree with that. Chocolate covered cherries are YUCKY!

I think there is a little alcohol in the chocolate liquor, but it's very little. And there's very little in each piece of candy. The total alcohol per cherry is certainly less than you'd get in a single sip of wine. I wouldn't worry about it at all. I wouldn't recommend eating a whole pound of those candies in one sitting, but even a few each day doesn't sound risky to me.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
Ohhh, chocolate covered cherries are my favorite! I just don't like the chocolate covered cordials with the cream. I agree that you probably have nothing to worry about. But if it makes you feel better then stop eating them.

·
Banned
1,944 Posts
Mild consumption of alcohol during pregnancy is not going to cause your baby any problems.

Don't feel bad.

And trust me...3 chocolate covered cherries probably have such a miniscule amount of alcohol that it wouldn't even show up in a blood-alcohol test...probably didn't last long enough in your system to even get close to the placenta, let alone get to the babe...

It's ok. Don't worry.

·
Registered
203 Posts
3 in a week I think is more than fine. I do know mom's who would had an occassional drink during their pregnancy and their babies were fine, the same way I know mom's who ate sushi during their pregnancy as well, I know women who only drink and eat raw dairy products (not pasturized) even during their pregnancy and they were fine. In general I don't drink, but I never really did before pregnancy anyway. I do agree that other countries are a lot more relaxed about rules and regulations. Anyway, IMHO, I think there is enough evidence out there that shows that all these things and more can be dangerous to a fetus and I think if there something you know or feel might be harmful to your baby do not partake in it because the stress and worry that comes with feeling you just *harmed* your baby is not worth it.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
mmmmm...chocolate covered cherries....yummmmm. I only ever have them around the solstice and christmas holidays though. My mom used to get one box every year in her stocking and each of us kids got one cherry...it was a really big deal!

And while the pp's are all correct about the non-alcohol content of choc. liquor...even enjoying a few chocolates filled with real live alcohol really shouldn't be a concern compared with some of the other things pregnant mamas face every day (like car exhaust and second hand smoke), as long as it isn't out of hand. I had a wonderful brandy filled chocolate last week and savored it for a good 20 minutes. Sure there was alcohol in it, but not all that much, especially compared with the wonderful endorphin rush (and decrease in stress) that went along with that indulgence.

Mmmmm...now I want chocolate!

·
Registered
396 Posts
With alcohol or not... bring on the chocolate. During my last pregnancy I read somewhere that women who had eaten a small amount of chocolate everyday of their pregnancy had more relaxed babies. I have NO IDEA if the study is legit, but I'll tell you I didn't want to find out either! I just took it as rock solid scientifically based honest truth and ate chocolate if not every day, certainly most. It is funny before I ever got pregnant I was never a chocolate person. I could take it or leave it... but when I got pregnant and seriously when I started nursing I could eat tons of chocolate a day. I do think there is something hormonal about it.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
The study on chocolate is, indeed, legit. It is my all time favorite study ever and if they ever want to do a repeat trial they just need to let me know! :l0l

The full article can be found in the journal "Early Human Development" (vol 76, p 139), but you can find "easy reading" synopsis online...like this one:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn4854

Though they do point out in some of the articles that it was quality chocolate and a small portion eaten each day...not gobs of "cheap" chocolate binged on over 9 months.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Though they do point out in some of the articles that it was quality chocolate and a small portion eaten each day...not gobs of "cheap" chocolate binged on over 9 months.
details...details...

glad to know it is for real!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Oh- chocolate- how I miss it so- Unfortunately everything that gave me so much pleasure when I was not pregnant (very spicey foods & chocolate) turns my belly into a vat of acid- yes- even the pricey pure good kind. (*sigh*)
:

·
Registered
597 Posts
YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! I'm e-mailing the chocolate article to DP and asking for some Doves! lolmmm or frerrar rocher (sp?) you know... the gold balls that are filled with hazelnut goodness?

I ate chocolate with DD because I had heard that too but she was still very high strung and cried for about 4 months... she's happy and laid back now... maybe I didn't eat ENOUGH chocolate and should up my intake this time around
he he he, I dont think that would fly!

Speaking of alcoholic desserts... my father in law makes TWO batches of Rumballs each year... one batch that could make you drunk from looking at them and another for the "under 21/Preggo" crowd. lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Someone in this thread mentioned dealing with the car exhaust and I couldn't agree more. I was stuck behind a truck last night on my ride home for a good 10 mins. and the smell was so bad...I was so mad..."I'm not concerned about the chocolate covered cherries anymore but now I'm breathing in this exhaust! Give me a break."

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Laurorama73 View Post
Someone in this thread mentioned dealing with the car exhaust and I couldn't agree more. I was stuck behind a truck last night on my ride home for a good 10 mins. and the smell was so bad
If you are pulling up behind a big truck (diesel fumes are the worst for me), remember to switch your car's ventilation to RECIRCULATE before the fumes come in. It helps a bit.

--willo

1 - 19 of 19 Posts