Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our dog "Barkley" is a 6yo male black lab, chow, shepard mix. He weighs about 80lbs and is an inside dog. He's my other kid and we just love him so much. The best dog we've ever had.

He was recently dx with Discoid Lupus. The vet just gave this dx about a month ago after seeing a lesion on our dogs nose.

Barkley also has a cyst on his hind paw, about the size of a silver dollar and slightly raised. If the hair hadn't fallen out/been licked off you'd never know it was there.

First the cyst-Vet says it's from an ingrown hair follicle. He's given the Rx Cephalexin 500Mg Capsules 2 times daily/12hrs apart. This has greatly decreased Barkley's appetite. Sometimes it's difficult to get Barkley to eat anyway b/c he has mild seperation anxiety and only eats if we're home and near him. I'm wondering how necessary the Rx is? I've been putting Lavendar essential oil on it. I'm wondering how effective that's going to be? Hopefully more so than the Rx. Any other ideas for an ingrown hair follicle? I'm not crazy about giving him the Rx, but I will if it's essential.

And what to do about the Lupus? He's not on any meds for it. We do put sunscreen on his nose and vitamin E for the lesion on the nose. The lesion looks to be diminishing. I just don't want the lupus to get worse.

Also, is the lupus from his vax last summer? We took Barkley out of the country so he had to get a 3yr Rabies booster and they also gave him DHLPP Booster. I didn't know the harm vaxing caused until after I had dd last fall. Now I know better. And what is the dhlpp booster?

I just have so many questions. We just got our check-up card in the mail and I want to go to his next appt informed. The other potential problem is that our vet, very pro-vax, is one of dh's good friends. They play baseball every weekend together and we are at eachother's houses frequently. Dh hasn't done the vax research and is refusing to become informed.

If anyone can point me in the right direction this would be so helpful.

Thank you!
Danielle and
: Barkley

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
First of all ~ most vets have gone to a 3-year protocol with regard to vaxing pets. This is far more reasonable...although I only administer puppy shots other than a 3-year Rabies after one of mine had a severe vaccine reaction and now has chronic GI issues. Another one of mine has epilepsy with seizures induced by vaccines. He likely would have seizures anyway however I have noticed they were worse the years he got vaccines.

With regard to the Lupus ~ I have no hard evidence for you or advice on what to do ~ but I am sure there is some great info out there.

As for the hair follicle ~ one of mine has a cyst that you can squeeze pus out of. My vet has looked at it and said it was an oil gland. Not an infection but just an oil gland that is collecting stuff. The only way to rid my dog of it is to remove the gland ~ which she did when she had him under to remove some other masses (that were thankfully benign). She never told us to use meds or anything...just said to keep an eye on it.

And as for your husband ~ refusing to become educated with regard to the health of your animal is inexcuseable in my mind. I would equate it with the docs who play golf and are friendly with pharma reps ~ and therefore prescribe their meds more often than others. It is not right to refuse to learn more simply because of a friendship. Your vet should understand (hopefully) that your dog's health is your concern and you are only doing what you think is best. BTW, my understanding of lupus is that it is an immune system disease...and therefore likely caused by vaccines. I would recommend never giving another vaccine to your dog until you educate yourself on the conditions you have come across.

http://www.truthaboutvaccines.net/

This website has some interesting links to articles and such. Some are very anti-vax so be sure to research further...but perhaps this can give you a start...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.