Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Specifically, ham, which I way overbought for Easter.
I was wondering if I could can it like deviled ham. Disclaimer: I have never canned meat, nor do I own a pressure canner, but if this is doable I'd buy one. A thread in Frugality got me all inspired!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If you don't have a pressure canner, then you can't can meat. Canning ham or ham-containing soups etc. is certainly possibly with one, however.

Get the Ball Book of canning or look on Jackie Clay's blog for instructions on canning meat products. She cans all sorts of crazy stuff!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I don't think so. There is nothing in my canning book about ham. Sorry. I think you could freeze though.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, All. I found a homesteading forum and the descriptions of the canned ham sounded pretty unappetizing! I think I'm going to devil and freeze it, and make a LOT of pea soup and freeze that too.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You can freeze the ham without doing anything to it. I almost always have some ham frozen in one or two cup portions to throw into soup, scrambled eggs, etc. It takes up less room in the freezer that way.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Ham is not a good meat to can. Probably because it is already preserved. It's good as an ingredient in something like ham and beans for canning, but that's tricky.

I've been canning a while and I would not can ham. I can a lot of beef and chicken, but not salt-cured or smoked meats.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by velochic View Post
Ham is not a good meat to can. Probably because it is already preserved. It's good as an ingredient in something like ham and beans for canning, but that's tricky.

I've been canning a while and I would not can ham. I can a lot of beef and chicken, but not salt-cured or smoked meats.
Velochic, I'm glad you responded--I think you were the meat canner that inspired me! Didn't you post in the Frugality Forum about canning lots of different meats? I'd love to read more about it.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Velochic, I'm glad you responded--I think you were the meat canner that inspired me! Didn't you post in the Frugality Forum about canning lots of different meats? I'd love to read more about it.
I do can a lot of meat. But I only can meat that is initially raw, not cured in any way. I aways cook the meat before canning (usually in a skillet), but it is always raw meat to begin with. I also can meals that have meat in them (chili, stews, etc.). I go strictly by the book because my family's safety is worth more than cutting corners or listening to grandma. I use the USDA guidelines to do any canning and work with proven recipes. Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
I wanted to add that the main reason that I don't use any cured meats is because I can't control the salt and taste. Cured meats are usually salt cured or smoke cured... both of these intensify when canning and I like to be able to control the flavor. Just wanted to clarify... it's not that you *can't* use cured meat, but I have done so before and it did not result in something that was very palatable.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, Velochic, I think I'd better stick to freezing ham for now. But thanks for the canning advice! So far I've only done fruits (with the aid of the Ball's book) but I'm looking to branch out this summer.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I'll take a different point than velcochic.

We do can cured/smoked meats and are very happy with the results.

We can ham in bean soup as well as canning sausage.

But if the OP prefers freezing, then go for it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.