Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making apple and pumpkin butter as gifts for the holidays. The apple butter recipe i used has lots of sugar in it & so did not need to be "canned" in a hot water bath etc - it just sealed like when i make jam. But the pumpkin butter recipe included the hot water bath canning. Does anyone know when hot water or other canning type processing is needed vs when you can just let the jars seal like with making jam (sterilize & keep jars & lids hot, fill with cooked jam or whatever, put lids on & set out on counter to seal)?<br><br>
thanks!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the USDA no longer recommends not processing anything intended for long-term storage. That is, anything like jams and butters and such are now believed to require at least a hot water bath. I even make a chocolate sauce that has absolutely nothing perishable in it that goes into the bath.<br><br>
So, the answer to your question may lie in how old the recipes are and whether or not they are contemporary to each other. Even tomatoes now are indicated for pressure canning, so things change all the time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's interesting...and makes sense since the apple butter recipe is from my grandma & the pumpkin one is recent from the internet.<br><br>
I wonder why the change? I'll make the other batches w/a hot water bath though.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
A lot of the changes have to do with changes in our produce itself. Many new tomatoes, for example, have been bred to have less acid. Pumpkin didn't use to be able to hot water bath, but newer types are less dense. I think it's a "use your judgement" thing - I still used a hot water bath on my tomatoes this year because I only canned ones that I grew which I knew to be heirloom varieties with a good amount of acid.<br><br>
In general, you usually can't go wrong processing something. I doubt there will be any ill effects on your apple butter for doing do. I even process marmalade now and haven't notices any degradation in quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts