Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really sad b/c I don't think we can afford to CD this new bean.
I have 3 NB diapers I bought a long time ago, 1 fitted dipe that was a gift from an MDC mama, 3 NB covers & 4 FBs from DS2. We didn't start CDing DS2 until he was 3 months old & he was growing quickly then so we bought mostly Mediums. DH has been pretty much out of work since Nov. and I just don't see us being able to buy any more NB dipes before May. Once he starts working regularly again we will have to play catch up & my first diapering need will be to get a Nighttime dipe for ds2. I am just so sad b/c I was really hoping to CD this new babe from day one.
Just needed to get it out.

AmiBeth

P.S. I thought of asking for dipes for a shower gift, but most of the people I know wouldn't know how to order them.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
PM me your addy and I'll send you a few things. I bought a nb stash for some friends who decided to go with sposies instead. I'm saving them for when we ttc but I could definately spare a few things

For shower gifts, as for paypal or cash for diapers! Some wahm sites sell gift certs. too that people can buy for you.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I used regular size prefolds and just folded them over in the front. (this was for a boy, you can fold the extra in back for a girl)

I only had a few NB covers and rotated them. Mine did not stay in the NB covers long.

HTH

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are too sweet! The few NB things I have are ones I got for a friend to try, but she went with sposies, too!

Does anyone know of any WAHMs that take orders by phone? I think my grandma would buy a couple if she could order by phone.

AmiBeth

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Diapering *does not* have to be expensive! Part of the fun, I think, is finding the cheapest way to diaper! Prefolds are cheap. Dirt cheap if you find them on the TP. And really, they're just catching poo, so they don't have to be pristine.

Or flats. Flats are darn cheap and have so many uses. Even if you don't *buy* flats, you can cut up flannel receiving blankets, flannel shirts, buy cheap diaper flannel at WalMart, etc. Or... use old t-shirts laying around and cut them up. Even with minimal to no sewing skills, you can sew up contours in no time. Then with the money you saved, you can check out the TP for some covers!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
There are quite a few websites/WAHMs that do a registry and make it easy for people to order dipes for you. If they truly want to get you something you need, then they should buy them (as long as internet access/experience is not an issue, I know it is for some).

You can get 2 doz infant prefolds for as little as $20 a dozen and some places offer free shipping. Try here:
http://www.zannadu.com/shop/customer/home.php
http://www.clothdiapersnmore.com/shop/home.php
http://nopins4baby.com/index.html
http://www.diaperware.com/index.html
http://www.kellyscloset.com

I don't see how disposables will be cheaper than cloth
(if you use prefolds and basic wraps). Oh yeah, and proraps seconds are $3-4 each, I think? Link is on Karen's page: www.diaperpages.com

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
prefolds aren't a bad way to go at all. she's been CD'd since birth and for the first three months, we primarily used infant prefolds and prorap seconds. very cheap and very easy to do
. i love fitteds, but in the beginning you're changing diapers every half hour/hour anyway.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As far as sposies being cheaper~ they aren't, I just know that the people I know are much more liekly to buy 7th Gen sposies at the local co-op than to try to order CDs online. Internet access (or ability to use it) is defintiely an issues for many people I know, that's why a WAHM that did phone orders would make it more likely they'd but me CDs.

Mama2Kyla~ pming you.

As far as sewing skills, I can sew on a button, and that's about it :LOL

AmiBeth

·
Banned
3,029 Posts
also, for christmas last year my mom and my MIL bought us the next size prefolds. my MIL did a mail-in order through green mountain diapers (they have a catalog) and there was an AP/natural parenting store that my mom knew of and she bought some there. they each bought a dozen and we were set.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I never had a newborn stash, but cd'd from day one
I thought a newborn stash was a waste of money because the baby outgrows it too fast, so I just got infant prefolds and then some prowrap covers used for a buck a piece. Then I bought smalls, since they will last at least 4 months or so. A set of prefolds and a few covers would be cheaper than using disposables. They'd probably pay for themselves that first month or two even.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
For phone orders .. and even having a real, physical print catalog to order from (definitely a plus for many), you can check out http://www.babybecause.com ... I have yet to order from there, but actually flipping through pages in a catalog and seeing cloth diapers gets me all giddy

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean
I have yet to order from there, but actually flipping through pages in a catalog and seeing cloth diapers gets me all giddy

:LOL

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Yep...everyone here has made such great suggestions. So I really have nothing to add...except you can do it!

There are so many affordable ways to CD. We started using CD's on DS when he was 2 mos. old. Until then we were spending $70+ per month on disposables! What a waste (in more ways than one!).

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I second Colleen at Naturalbabies.com. She does orders over the phone and has layaway.

If you don't mind using prefolds, you can CD for VERY cheap. Watch the TP, there are a lot of people selling off their newborn stashes. Lots of people will do trades if you happen to have something they are interested in.

Just get about 4 prorap covers and about 2 dozen prefolds (regular size is the most versatile in the long run). You can even get a couple of bundles of the white washcloths from Sam's, I think they run about $5 for a dozen and use those during the wee newborn phase. You can also use them as wipes later or bath washes.

If people that are hesitant to buy online will consider getting you a Visa Gift Card as a shower gift, most WAHMs that sell prefolds will accept CCs.

Remember, May is a long way off yet.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think I have a bunch of infant prefolds around here somewhere. I just need to keep a few (I line the changing table with them, easier than changing the entire pad lol). If you are still needing some, let me know and I'll look (I think they are in the room with the sleeping baby right now lol).

Also, I don't know how big your babies are, but I have some CuddleBuns that are from my first attempts a few years ago (used less than year though). I've been using them on dd, but I want to replace them. If you are interested, let me know and I'll tell you more about them (ie condition and such). I don't think they are saleable on eBay or anything so I haven't been sure what to do with them. Of course, I would need to get something sewn for dd before I could send these on, or I'll have to do wash every day. :LOL

Nancy

PS I already gave away all my newborn covers to a friend or I'd offer those up too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.