Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I know I'm totally lame. But I just got some gorgeous new yarn, want to knit with it, and I can't find the end of the skein so I can roll it into a ball.

This is such a stupid newbie question, but is it possible that there is no end? It can't be a continuous loop, can it?

And since I can't find an end, can I just cut into the yarn and start winding?

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
It seems impossible, but it happened to me once... somehow. It still doesn't make sense to me. It was worsted wt. HPY merino. I remember there was a spot where it looked like a moth or something ate a hole through 2 strands, so there were those four ends. Then, I untwisted the skein into a hank/loop (the terminology confuses me still) and couldn't find any ends at all, when there should have been 6! So, after looking for several minutes, I snipped and started winding. Only to get to the end and realized I'd never found the beginning/end of the original hank. It was weird.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Sometimes the ends are used to tie the big loop of yarn before the twist it up into a skein. So once you get it into a big loop, is it tied anywhere? If so, you could try unknotting those in case those are the ends there.

Hard to describe in just words, isn't it?

Alison

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.