Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 18 month old is still heavily breastfed, and lately nursing even more. On top of it, she's not sleeping well, so of course neither am I. We co-sleep, and it used to be wonderful, I'd barely wake up, she was STTN (defined by me STTN) at 4 weeks, etc. However, now she tickles my nipple while nursing and  I just can't sleep through it.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's almost like she's moving her tongue in a weird way while nursing, but it doesn't hurt. It tickles in a rather annoying way (though really, is there any way for your nipple to tickle that's not annoying?). Anyone deal with this? How can I get it to stop?</p>

·
Registered
499 Posts
<p>My DS is 15.5 months and does the same thing! I agree, it's a very distracting sensation.  I sometimes experience this annoying nipple-flick thing when DS is nursing very vigorously, but it's usually a nighttime thing. I wonder if it's just because he's growing and the shape of his mouth is changing? I thought at first it had something to do with teething, but I think I've figured out that it <em>mostly</em> feels this way when he's not fully latched. Since he nurses in his sleep, I can usually slide my nipple out of his mouth when I start to feel the latch change. He may root or squirm but if I keep him close to me he'll stay asleep and I can either move him away after a minute or roll over to sleep.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I hope you get more replies to your thread. I wonder about this too, but I don't think I have the answer you're looking for.</p>

·
Registered
940 Posts
<p>My DD doesn't do a nipple tickle thing, but she does get all grabby with my other breast. It's super annoying and I just can't sleep through it. We actually moved her to her own room (just a mattress on the floor). She sleeps longer when she's by herself and I have the option of leaving after she's gotten enough to fall back asleep, which has really helped my sanity! </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts