Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I didn't get much sleep last time I was pregnant either, but I had the luxury of napping if I needed it last time. This time around, it is next to impossible to get any sleep (or a nap). I cannot get comfortable, if I try to lay on my right OR left the baby gets angry and starts kicking up a storm (this one is quite active). I've tried pillows and even the recliner. I can't get comfortable! Lying flat on my back isn't working either, and I'm not sure that I should be doing that anyway, since I'm in the third tri.

Is anyone else going through this? How do you cope? I feel like I need to go sleep in a swimming pool or something. I'm not anemic, I'm just so exhausted, b/c of lack of sleep (and I have a toddler who sleeps through the night, so he's not the issue), I just dragggg through each day.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
If you have a midwife, can she get you some safe sleep herbs? Mine was mentioning a tincture for that.

If you are willing to take drugs, unisom works (the doxylamine succinate version). But of course, ask your care provider.

Otherwise, lack of sleep just makes life harder all around. I sympathize because I have horrible sleep problems even when not pregnant.

It's a hard thing to deal with--I hope you can get some extra sleep in the day or find something that works at night.

The swimming pool sounds like a great idea! Bathtub?

The positioning is getting really uncomfortable. My shoulders are starting to hurt from sleeping on my sides so much. I can't wait to sleep on my stomach again!!!!!!

Everyone keeps saying "oh don't worry about it...soon you'll have a newborn and you won't sleep at all ha ha..." I think it's really important to get as much sleep as you can these last few months though.

Take care--

Adrienne
expecting first baby
boy: Owen 8/10-ish

·
Registered
731 Posts
My midwife was concerned about my lack of sleep etc but we determined I have too much on my mind with the baby that's coming and that I need to lay some issues to rest and not go the tincture or meds route just yet. I seem to draaaaag and then at around 5pm ish I come around for an hour or two.

I find myself flat on my back at times in the middle of the night..it feels good to let the abs stretch but the anchor muscles throb..not so good! LOL

I am just assuming I"m not going to get proper sleep again until he's like a few months old. *yawn*

-Kitty

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I'm sleeping okay, but ever since the hot weather has hit, I've been waking up in the mornings with hands and feet completely swollen, tingly achy arms, and generally feeling pretty hit by a truck. Are other people getting this? Anything to do about it?

mags, I hope you get some good sleep soon.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Just so you know, you're not alone. I have to flip over, side to side, all night loing. And between flipping and my bladder and the heartburn, a good night's sleep has become a thing of the past.

Oh, how I miss being in a comfortable position....

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have been having the same problem. Between getting up to pee (I have a UTI too!) and my restless legs, plus normal pregnancy discomfort, I am up all night. What has really helped me is Hyland's Homeopathic formula for Insomnia. I tried various herbs including Valerian, but not much help. but the Hylands has really been helping.

Also, I have found it is absolutely necessary to take a nap in the afternoon or I just can't function.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I mentioned to my MW that I was waking in the middle of the night and tossing and turning quite a bit she suggested that I might be hungry. I started having a protein snack when this happens and I'm always able to go back to bed and get plenty of rest.

She suggested keeping some Luna Bars on the nightstand, but getting up and having some yogurt works well for me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
ahhh good idea...I mean just because it's night doesn't mean we don't need to eat, right?

My husband laughs when I complain about having to get up and pee often and he says, maybe if you didn't drink water during the night?? Again...just because it's night doesn't mean bubs doesn't need water!

I keep the whole lack o'sleep thing in perspective, what's important is the babyand also this is good practice for fractured sleep once baby arrives. Small consolation but works for me.

Kitty

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chasmyn
I have to flip over, side to side, all night loing. And between flipping and my bladder and the heartburn, a good night's sleep has become a thing of the past.
Oh, how I miss being in a comfortable position....
This is exactly how i feel!

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions and support everyone. I'll have to give some of those a try. The unisom is on the, "ok" list of drugs my ob gave me, but honestly I don't really feel like it will probably help me very much. I tried taking it for m/s my previous pregnancy and it didn't help me (with sleep or the m/s). I've gone through phases of insomnia throughout my life before, so I guess I should be used to this by now. I usually just going through a period where I barely get any sleep and then after a while, it seems to, "fix" itself and then I'll have another insomnia phase.

Oh, and the peeing thing, yes I am up several times a night peeing (and already had 2 UTI's this pregnancy which is odd for me). I *usually* try to have a snack before bedtime, BUT I'm not getting to the point where I feel like I get heartburn very easily (I love my tums), so I have to be careful about what I eat before bedtime. I don't *think* I am getting up b/c I am hungry, but I guess it could be a possibility. So far this pregnancy, I have only gotten up once during the night to have a snack.

As for the herbs, I have tried valerian before while non-preggo, and I could not stomach the smell of it. Does anyone else notice it has a very strong odor??? It makes me want to vomit, lol. I will have to look into the hylands, we have a pharmacist in town who specializes in homeopathy, so I should call him up or stop by his store to ask him about some herbal options. Some of you mentioned you have restless legs and arms... I totally forgot about that, I have that problem this time around too, worse than last time, b/c I don't remember having the restless legs last time, just tingly hands, and I .

Ahhh, the joys of pregnancy. I actually sleep better after the baby is born, b/c I'm so exhausted I just crash, and it helps not to have to deal with the pg symptoms (just the breast leaking, lol).

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Sleep isn't coming too easy here either. I fall asleep very easily, but my hubby is a night owl and usually wakes me up because he is up (I'm a light sleeper) and when he finally comes to bed, either that or he works until 2 or 3 in the morning and wakes me up just coming home. And then Nathan crawls into our bed between 2-4 am at which time I wait until he's asleep and then get up to pee. And for some stupid reason I wake up between 4-6 am and usually can't go back to sleep for anything....I should just get up and do something, but I stay in bed to snuggle and rest. Wish I had some advice for you, but nill here....I'm thinking that stress is playing a role for me as I've got waaay too many things on my "to do" list.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I've been sleeping so poorly lately due to restless legs, leg cramps and hip aches. My mw said to eat a banana and drink a glass of milk before bed each night for the calcium and potassium. Things have been *much* better since I followed that advice! I hope you find something that works for you.

One other thing, I like a firm bed when I'm not pg, but when I am, I am miserable. If you think your bed might be too hard and causing your joints too much stress, try putting a really soft mattress cover over it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Hub and I have a giant bed because we actually have two beds pushed together at the same height because of our different sleeping requirements. When I'm NOT pregnant I sleep on the futon and he sleeps on a regular semi-firm mattress. Since I became pregnant we've switched and I agree, it is a good thing having a softer mattress to sleep on.

I am going to try the bananas and milk starting tonight. I take calcium but maybe because I take it early in the day it isn't enough. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I agree with Kitty that, especially at this stage of the game, one of the reasons for lack of sleep could be my body's attempt to prepare me for the baby's sleeping/feeding schedule. I had just noticed that I was waking up quite a bit and rolling around. I hadn't said anything to my MWs, and they asked if I noticed I was waking every few hours and was unable to go back to sleep for 10 minutes or so. That night, I paid attention, and sure enough!

Now I'm lucky that I can take a nap most days (although not today).

But I just think that's so awesome that my body innately does that!
GO BODY!

Now having said that, I'll cross my fingers and my toes and pray for all of you that you all get naps!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I am also having trouble sleeping - just can't get comfortable, my hips and shoulders are so achy I feel like I only last 15 min on each side before I have to flip. I was getting terrible leg cramps too - but my MW told me to take calcium and magnesium supplements (packaged together called Cal-Mag vitamins) and I have not had one leg cramp since I started taking them in the morning along with my prenatals! Getting up to pee about once an hour during the night doesn't help either. And sometimes the baby is so active he/she actually wakes me up too! I try to nap during the day if I can find the time, but I can't seem to get to sleep during the day - I can lay there for hours and I feel a little rested but wish I could actually get some good sleep. I do think (like a pp said) that my body is just adjusting to not needing as much sleep so that I will be used to it by the time the baby comes...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello,
I know how you feel! I am exhuasted even though most nights my DS sleeps pretty well. I have been waking up at 4am EVERY morning with my mind spinning. My head won't seem to turn off - I try meditating or reading but I am just too tired or preoccupied. With my first pregnancy, the lack of sleep was closer to the end and related to difficulty getting comfortable and nausea. My crazy head this pregnancy is most annoying! Anyone else worrying over everything - from vbac, circ, nursing 2, recovery time, grocery lists, checkbook, politics, weight gain, school district issues (my son isn't even close to school age), dog food, ETC!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts and anxious mind hamper my sleep a great deal too. I have to remember I'm not having an older child that I'll be training for the Special Olympics..but that it WILL be an infant first. I just get so caught up in "will his defects be noticeable"? "how mentally deficient will he be" "how will his muscle tone be" "will he be able to nurse.." ...millions of questions about the horrible unknown. I just have to remember that he's an infant first and that it'll all come out in the wash. Again it's just the unknown/not experienced yet stuff. Worse is how am I going to juggle all his needs with the needs of 5 other kids and a hubby who's a big kid at times!

OK I'll quit blathering but that's basically where I'm coming from. I just get up every day wondering "will I be any good at this" and go to bed at night thinking.."I wonder how hard things'll be..can I do it..." etc etc....

Kitty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts