Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally, I can drink water all day, don't really drink anything else. But when I am pregnant, I can't stand it. It always seem to smell or taste bad, even distilled. In my last pregnancies, I have just gotten poweded gatorade and did it half strength. Well, we did the whole fiengold thing here, so no colors/flavors. And I find myself not wanting to drink anyting. I tried adding lemon, but it is upsetting my stomach. So any ideas out there? Is there a more natural gatorade type thing?

·
Registered
441 Posts
What about Emergen-C? Not sure if that has articial colors though.

Or what about herbal iced tea? This tea is absolutely delicious! I drink it all the time, and the stevia makes it just a little sweet, which is nice.

Sparkling mineral water has been helpful for me too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Do you like tea? A decaf type tea might be good. If you want to avoid sugar, you could try stevia (never used it, but I assume it can sweeten tea too).

Sorry, thats about all I got.

I can say though, I'm right there with you on not liking water....I always taste something in it. The generic brand from walmart, just the 20 oz bottles, is the only water I can stand to drink. Maybe try that?

(hehe, took too long to post and we posted the same thing)

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the emergen-c stuff. No colors or flavors and it says that it has it at my local safeway!! Going to check it out tomorrow. My only other question with this stuff, is it going to be bad to take while pregnant? With all that vit c?
Will look into sparkling water too. And maybe make myself a picture of herbal tea tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I have been dying of thrist but everytime I go to drink I gag.
Thanks

·
Registered
352 Posts
I feel the EXACT same way! I'm normally such a water person. I barely ever drink anything else. And now, it's become one of the things on my "That makes me want to puke" list.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Plain flat water has been a challenge for me as well. Sometimes if it is very very very cold it's ok. Mostly I've been drinking seltzer or mineral water. Or mixing just a little bit of juice with water helps.

Good luck, it is a challenge to stay hydrated when water just doesn't taste good.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I had a cold right when I found out I was pregnant, and my naturopath (who is also a CNM) said that Emergen-C was just fine to take. If you are worried about it though, maybe use one package for a few glasses of water, just to mask whatever the offending smell or taste is.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't do the recharge, apple and grapes are out on the fiengold. We didn't have to cut out all the fruit that they reccomend, but apples, grapes and cherries make us all go nutty.
It is nice to know that there are other pregnant women going through this too, thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
I love Emergen-C packets in my water when pregnant
They are from Alacer.

I don't down them all day, but I will usually have one a couple times a week at least. I find it helps me establish a better balance of minerals in my body-and makes drinking water easier.however- water tastes REALLLLY good at night

·
Registered
623 Posts
Right there with you on the water thing, the only way I can stomach it is if it's got a ton of ice in it and I drink it through a straw. Good luck on finding something you can use to make it taste better!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I struggel with water even when not pregnant (it makes me nauseous), so coupled with the morning sickness hell I'm in right now, I'm really struggling.

I've been drinking seltzer water that is very lightly flavored (Like Canada Dry brand). Maybe not the best thing on the planet, but it is water, and it is better than soda.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Are there fruits you _can_ eat that could be floated in water? (A restaurant I go to occasionally has wonderful water that is water with some cut up fruit in it - scrumptious!) Or...sliced cucumbers? Mint extract? Other extracts?

Good luck at finding something that works for you!!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.feingold.org/
It is really serious for me and my daughter. My youngest it doens't affect as much. But a couple of days ago the only thing I coudl think about eating was a cherry danish. So I got two, ate them. And thinking back, it had red #40 in it. That is why I am going nuts right now.
We can do strawberries, I am think that would taste pretty nice. While at the store today, I saw some Vitamin Water. I looked, no colors or flavors, and I got some, tastes about like gatorade. So I may go back and get some more of that.
I have been doing herbal tea, halfed lemonade, and the emergen C stuff is pretty decent also. I still feel a little dehydrated, but much better than I was a few days ago.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts