Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is officially declared as COLIC! When I got home from work, I was extremely tired. I already did not want to go home and be bothered with my SIL and undisciplined 3 yr old. SIL had been home all day watching both her child and my child all day while DH got some work done. He wasn't there when I got there and SIL announced she was ready to go and get her nails done, do I mind watching her 3yr old? Sure, no problem.<br><br>
I looked down at my sleeping DS (8wks today) and my heart swelled with pride. And then I had to deal with my 3 yr old nephew. I started to change the channel to Lifetime from the Disney channel and he screamed bloody Mary. He started yelling at me "don't you turn that tv, I don't want you to,I have been wathching that ALL DAY" which was true because my SIL was in the other room watching tv when I got home. So he snatched it back and turned it to *his channel* and said "don't you turn it again"<br><br>
I was not in the mood to deal with him so I let it go. I went into the kitchen to make bottles and formula. DH came home and we talked. He even commented, "why aren't you watching Lifetime? SIL has been letting him watch cartoons all day" I told him not worry about it as I was going to bed early.<br><br>
Since DH is self employed and I go to work every day, it was his turn to watch the baby all night. I took a hot shower and went to bed. DH came in the bedroom at 12:30pm and layed down on the bed. I asked sleepily, where is DS? He mumbled in my office. What!! I said, go get him and bring him in here. He finally did. About 45 minutes later, DS woke up for his 1am feeding. He ate and went back to sleep. He woke up again at 3:15am and that was when the crying started and lasted all the way to after 7am this morning. All night DH and I was passing him back and forth to get him to stop crying. We tried everything under the sun and nothing would work.<br><br>
I was so mad! DH couldn't take him the living room because SIL and her son were in the sleeping (we have a 2bedroom apt.) So we had to stay in the bedroom. It was agony to hear DS crying and not be able to do anything about it. To make matters worst, I got my period yesterday and I started cramping really bad. So you know my hormones are ranging everywhere. I was thinking to myself, why did we decide to become parents? I love my son dearly but I can't stop the emotions and thoughts that come when he cries inconsolably. I had to be at work by 8am and was 30 minutes late. I was late yesterday due to the same thing. When I left, DS and DH were finally going to sleep. But I had to leave and probably won't get a nap until lunch time.<br><br>
It is to the point where I dread going home now. Sometimes, I just don't feel like dealing with things, and wondering and hoping that DS won't have another colic episode. I feel in despair and I just don't see light in the future. It feels like it is never going to get better!<br><br>
I am also upset that DH can't see fit to make formula. To this day, he has not made 1 bottle. I make all the bottles. When it is time for a feeding, all he has to do is go in there, grab a bottle and pop it in DS's mouth, end of story. I have to make all the bottles. Does your DH make bottles?

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
My dh is home with the baby all day while I'm at work. He is great. He doesn't have to make bottles because we nurse when I'm home, but he does bottle feed my expressed breast milk. He is a big expert at getting the baby to sleep, though not a total one (I came here to post to this forum about our nap troubles.)<br><br>
I think you need a different formula. It sounds like your baby is having digestive troubles. Aren't some babies allergic to dairy or soy, the main components in formulas? We had fussiness, but it was all during the classic "happy hour"--6-10 PM. After he went down for the night, he never woke up crying. It might also be that your baby is hungry when he cries like that. I don't know a lot about how formula works, but little babies do have growth spurts and want to eat more.<br><br>
Tell your SIL to go home already. You shouldn't be watching a three year old when you are a new mom working outside the home. Also, a word to the wise: some small babies get really overstimulated by TV. Some of the way we got our baby calmer when he was that age was by lowering the lights in the house and getting everything quiet. If we even had people over, it was so exciting and stimulating that our baby had a hard time sleeping. So SIL and nephew go home, no TV in the room with the baby, and everything <i>mellow</i>. Try a different formula. Also, try putting the baby in a baby seat in the bathroom when you take a shower--the sound of the shower was calming for my baby, and it's a chance for you to be around your baby. The more time you are with the baby the more you will know what is going on.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I agree with everything Captain Optimism said. I would try some or all of her suggestions--especially about the TV and the formula. A calm baby during the day can help the baby be calm at night.<br><br>
Also, keep in mind that this to shall pass. You have had a few bad nights and your hormones are out of whack. This can make you really depressed and questioning all your decisions. Try and focus on the way you felt when you first saw your DS and swelled with pride! Things will get better. Good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I really feel for you, I think you are amazing to have a new baby and cope with working outside the home, and have house guests. That is a lot to deal with, anyone would be stressed.<br><br>
My son used to have terrible inconsolable screaming times too, and there is nothing harder on a mother. I used to cry with him 'cos I felt so awful for him. Here's a couple of things that worked for us, in case it is any help.<br><br>
1) We tried a different formula, and it seemed to help when he was really little<br>
2) He had bad gas, we used mylicon drops which helped a lot, also lots of holding upright and lots of burping<br>
3) He had silent reflux. Reflux can get worse at about 6 weeks, just when you expect things will get better. Perhaps your little one has something like this. I'm not trying to prescribe meds or anything, but it is worth asking a doc about. It made a huge difference for us going on losec and getting thickened formula. Suddenly a 'colicky' baby was an abolute dream.<br><br>
Good luck to you all. I think you should talk to your dh about making bottles, explain to him how you feel because he must see how much you have on your plate right now. I would also ask the sil to leave. Doesn't sound like this is helping things.<br><br>
Let us know how you get on, hope you are feeling better soon.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I agree with the suggestions about formula changes and also about this too shall pass. Can't SIL and her son sleep in dh's office or ds's room temporiarly? It will give them so privacy and you wouldn't have to worry about disturbing them when you walk the baby around or whatever. Hope things are going better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts