Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my DS (2nd grade) showed his teacher a rough draft of a writing paper he was working on, she told him he couldn't write in cursive. He was a bit upset as he was really proud of his work. Knowing his teacher, I'm sure she was very kind, yet I have conflicting emotions about this.<br><br>
There is a part of me that thinks it's not fair, my DS is often telling me the work is too easy (we have no advanced placement, or gifted classes at our school) so he finds a small way to challenge himself and is told he cannot do that.<br><br>
Then I try and think of reasons that perhaps she wouldn't want him to write in cursive, but I can't come up with many.<br><br>
Just wanted to share this...any thoughts Mama's?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I think it's just one more way of controling kids, along with making papers double-spaced and one-inch margins when you're in high school.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Crummy! Come join the thread in Special Needs Parenting for addressing the sn of gifted children.<br><br>
Have you had parent-teacher conferences yet? I'd come up with a list of what you want to discuss and possible resolutions for the conference, if not. I'd ask for copies of any assessments that they have done thus far (my second grader did a computerized literacy assessment at the beginning of the year that is apparently standard for all 2nd graders at her school).<br><br>
I'd also inquire as to why he cannot write in cursive and what they are planning to do to keep him adequately challenged. Some possible suggestions, since they have no special programming, could be grade acceleration for specific subjects (like floating him to 3rd grade during writing time), flexible grouping btwn 2nd grade classrooms (he goes to a different 2nd grade for specific subjects to be grouped with other advanced 2nd graders), or the teacher creating specific centers for him to work at while the other kids are doing their less difficult centers.<br><br>
All of these do require either extra work for the teacher or some restructuring of the way they do things, but are not unreasonable. If he had other special needs (academic delays), you would have a reason to expect them to address those, and he also has a right to have his needs met too, even if it is harder for the school

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I went to school in the US from the age of 5-7. I only ever learned how to print, cursives were going to be introduced in grade 3. When I had just started 2nd grade, we moved back to Germany. In Germany, the kids start learning cursive pretty much as soon as they enter school (1st grade - along with printing). So, in the matter of a few weeks, I had to teach myself cursive at home (with the help of my mother & workbooks) -- I learned really fast and it was fun to have the challenge [I always felt bored in school too].<br><br>
So, I really don't see any 'rational' reason why 2nd graders - or any kid that shows interest & ability - should *not* write cursive. But, if it's not on the lesson plan, it can't be done. That's one of my issues with institutionalized schooling -- it generelly does very little for the individual child in terms of honouring their personal development and their unique talents/ interests/ abilities.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
My guess is that they generally don't introduce cursive until 3rd grade and she's worried about him either getting it 'wrong' or taking too much time to write and not enough time focusing on content/subject matter of the paper.<br><br>
What is his paper about? If he's doing this to challenge himself, is there another way- more related to the subject- use bigger words, research something more in depth, etc.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
DH says that he doesn't think that we should even teach our DS cursive. DH prints everything, while I on the other hand prefer cursive. So I'm not sure if we are going to teach him or not.<br><br>
I went to this one school in the 3rd grade that were teaching to write like this<br><br><a href="http://www.studioarts.net/calligraphy/italic/cursive.gif" target="_blank">http://www.studioarts.net/calligraph...ic/cursive.gif</a><br><br>
Then I moved to another school that was teaching how to write like that<br><br><a href="http://staff.tuhsd.k12.az.us/jlaurence/forms/cursive.gif" target="_blank">http://staff.tuhsd.k12.az.us/jlauren...ms/cursive.gif</a><br><br>
Kind of strange.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That's odd. My 5 1/2 year old goes to a montessori school and they do ONLY cursive there. He struggles with it because he has always been a little challenged in the fine motor department. He's doing fine though.<br><br>
Great....so if we decide to send himt o public school, this is what he'll get???<br><br>
Makes me consider homeschooling even more....

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
My guess is that the students share their work regularly (hopefully) and the other students wouldn't be able to read it. I'd probably discourage cursive writing for things that would be shared (which is most of our work) but not care if it was something just for the child. A class is a community, and we find a way to balance all our needs.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">DH says that he doesn't think that we should even teach our DS cursive. DH prints everything, while I on the other hand prefer cursive. So I'm not sure if we are going to teach him or not.</td>
</tr></table></div>
We're similiar. I like cursive, while dh never uses it. I agree with him that mastering cursive hardly seems necessary. I intend to expose my children to, but not insist they try to master it, if it doesn't suit their fancy.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I find cursive harder to read. The teacher might just not have the energy to read it. Or, while your son's handwriting may be excellent, she might not want other kids to see it and start writing less-legible cursive themselves because it'll take her forever to interpet it.<br><br>
But you really should ask her!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
DS has the same issue with math - thankfully, there is a very good gifted program at his school. Here's what we have done - DS follows his classroom rules and sticks to the subject matter when doing homework or classwork (in this case, it's no negative numbers or algebra/using letter variables) and then I make up extra problems for him at home that are more challenging. On Fridays, he gets to go to an advanced math class and, next year, he can test for an advanced track for the rest of elem. school.<br><br>
I think, as other posters have said, it can be distracting for other students if your son is writing in cursive in class. I know it is really frustrating when it seems like your child is being held back (we had that happen last year) - but think about it from another parent's perspective. If your son was having a hard time with printing and the child sitting next to him is writing everything out in cursive because printing is "too easy", that could really be frustrating. I would definitely set up a conference with the teacher and see if you guys can't figure out some extra "homework" that your son would find challenging.<br><br>
I also agree with the point that, perhaps instead of focusing on challenging him with the <span style="text-decoration:underline;">way</span> he's writing, you could focus on the content, which IMO will be much more beneficial down the road than good penmanship.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts