Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we were in an accidnet last night. some guy hit us out of nowhere
his fault obviously but now we have to get our car repaired and someone mentioned ot me that our insurance should cover a new car seat b/c you are supossed to replace car seats after an accident..is this true? anyone have more info on this? im hoping if this is the case we can finally afford a britax!!!! TIA!

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'd call your insurance co, or check the insurance documents if you know where they are (not being snarky...I just have no idea where ours would be, LOL).

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
I don't know for sure, but it's definitely worth asking. When we had our car seat inspected about 18 months ago, they told us the rules about replacement had changed recently, however. I can't remember them exactly, but if it was a frontal collision and the air bags didn't go off, you don't have to replace, things like that, etc. So if the insurance co adheres to those guidelines, they may or may not be willing to replace.

Good luck!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Yes, absolutely. They didn't bat an eye when I requested that after being rear-ended (wasn't even a very serious accident)

I got the new seat I wanted, gave them the receipt, they wrote a check and took the old seat.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If the other guy was at fault, talk to his ins. company, and tell them that they need to pay you to replace the seats OR give you a letter that says they guarantee the car seats are fine and will be fine in another accident, and they assume any liability if the seats aren't safe... they'll gladly pay for new seats before signing something like that.

The carseat manu. (graco for sure) say to replace all seats after an accident, all the others say you need to replace the occupied seats after an accident, except Britax that has it's own rules... but if the airbags deployed or the car was not driveable or is totalled by teh car ins. company, then the seats must be replaced.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ours is a safety 1st carseat. the wreck wasnt bad,but enough to do damage to the side of the car, but i have been wanting to upgrade our car seat to a britax for awhile now anyways.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
It's definatly worth checking into, the worst that can happen is they'll tell you no, or just give you the value of your current seat (which you could put toward the purchase of a Britax. GL!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
They will replace it (sign nothing till they do), but depending on how specific they are and how much they pay attention, they will only pay for a seat like the one you have (often same brand). Some don't care and you can get anything you like.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
If it was another drivers fault, his insurance company should give you money to replace the seats. You may have to fork out the $$ first, and then they will re-imburse you.

I was in a very bad accident with my 2 oldest children when they were 15 months and 10 days old where someone ran a red light going 65 mph and I almost died.
: The did replace our car seats, the strollers that were in the trunk and my diaper bag and it's contents because it was filled with glass. They did take all the old stuff though.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
DS has now been in two accidents with us.
He was 2 months old when I was rear-ended by some idiot. I simply bought the equivalent replacment infant seat that went with my travel system and turned in the reciept. Insurance company paid for it, no questions asked. (I don't think ZZ even knew, he SLEPT THROUGH IT.)

He was 21 months this summer, in his toddler seat that we got free from the hospital when we were in a front-end collision. I called the place we got the seat from, and they said since the airbags didn't go off, it didn't need replacing--unless I saw obvious damage to it.

I don't know if the rules changed sometime in there...I would call your insurance company and ask. *but* I think they are only going to cover an equivalent seat and you'll have to turn in the receipt before you get the check from them. That's what I had to do anyway.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Call the Dept of Transportation. They have a list of criteria which determines whether the car seat needs to be replaced, having to do not just with the severity of the accident, but with what kind of car it is and so forth. I was in a pretty bad accident, but I called them and discovered that my car seat did not need to be replaced.

Glad everyone is okay.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Your car insurance should replace it - Britax or otherwise. I knew of a girl who had their Britax replaced after an accident, by their insurance - or at least they should reimburse you if you get them the receipt. Since you'd need to call them anyway, I'd make sure to ask.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was hit last year with my 12 month old in his Britax. The other driver's insurance paid for a replacement, but I had to buy the new seat first and wait 6 weeks for the check.

Britax told me if the car is in bad enough shape to tow, the seat must be replaced.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Britax is the only carseat company that I know of that doesn't say you need to have your seat replaced after ANY crash. They are choosing to follow the recent NHTSA guidelines put out. All others will tell you to replace it and IMO, better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know for a fact that this is the case in Illinois. As I understand it, it is a state-by-state determination. Some states require it of insurance companies, some states don't.

A co-worker of mine was in a fender-bender and had built-in car seats that the insurance company was required to replace. (Although he had to go round and round and round with them about it.)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
We were in a minor accident last year. I was told that if ALL of these criteria were met, then the insurance would not pay to replace the seat:

1. You were able to drive your car away from the scene of the crash.

2. The vehicle door closest to the child safety seat was not damaged.

3. There were no injuries to any of the occupants of your vehicle.

4. The vehicle's air bags did not deploy.

5. There is no visible damage to the car safety seat itself.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts