Mothering Forum banner

car seat/booster for tall 5 yo - NOT a regent

809 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  L&IsMama 
#1 ·
I have a tall and skinny 5 year old. He's 38 lbs after a big meal and about 44". In our main car, he is in a Regent. We need a car seat/booster for our 2nd car because he is WAY too tall for the one he is in. But, we are buying the (expensive) boulevard for our daughter and can't afford another expensive Britax. He isn't in this car often - maybe 2x a week. I would like to keep him in a 5-point but I need one that has HIGH harness straps (he's on the 2nd from the bottom in the Regent, so most of his height is in his legs but he's still quite tall.) I'm willing to do a booster if I can't find a car seat option that will accomodate his height.

Suggestions? Thanks mamas!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
how can I find out how high the straps are? Also, I've heard that on some car seats, the top row of straps isn't reinforced and therefore isn't safe? Could I find the Radian locally and have him sit in it to test it?

Discussion starter · #6 ·
This one looks good. The height thing is so confusing because it lists the harness height as 17", less than the boulevard I'll be buying for my dd. The Regent is listed as 20, the highest of all, and the radian at 18". I like the price and size of the Safeguard a lot better than the others. I'll mesure my son's torso tomorrow to see how much growing room he'll have in the Safeguard.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManitobaMom View Post
We also have tall kids and got a Safeguard Go:

http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm

"The SafeGuard Go may be used in harness mode for children that are at least one year of age, weigh 30 - 60 lbs, and are 34 - 52 inches in height. The SafeGuard Go may be used in booster mode for children that are at least three years in age, weigh 40 - 100 lbs, and are 43 - 57 inches in height."

It's $180 at Elite Car Seats (great customer service). That price includes free shipping. It's not cheap, but it is a fair bit less than the Britax seats and the portablity of it is certainly a nice feature.

One note: this seat MUST be used with a rear tether, since it doesn't have a rigid shell the way other car seats do.

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by L&IsMama View Post
If her ds is already in the 2nd from the bottom slots on a Regent, I don't believe the Apex would hold him in the 5 pt harness mode. It has pretty short shoulder slots, especially compared to the Regent.
From what I can tell, the cosco apex highest slot is 17.5 inches, a little higher even than the Safeguard. And the price is lower. Has anyone used this? What do you think?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
How high do the headrests need to be in a car to accomodate the apex? We have what I would call "mock headrests", they are more humps than true adjustable headrests. They measure 28" from top to bottom of seat. Is that high enough for the apex?

WOW, this is just way too complicated. There are SO few seats that can accomodate him but he is only 38 lbs. so shouldn't be in a booster yet. There seems to be a real void for tall skinnny kids.

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
Our Apex has 19" slots. YOu have to have headrests fo get the full use out of this seat though. IF he's in the 2nd slot, his torso is probably 15" or less so that gives you more options, but at 38# you'll still need a higher weight harness. The Apex would definitely be your least expensive. I have pics of my ds, 40# and 40" in both his Apex and his Radian.
Can you send me a pic of your ds in his Apex? How do you have an Apex that has 19" slots? Is there a way to order that one? I keep seeing 17.5 as the max. I think I'm going to get this one either way. It has the highest slots of any that conver to a booster. This is for a 2nd car so won't be used often and if he outgrows the harness straps, we can use it as a booster. And, I like what I'm getting for the price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.