Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really confused about what to do and really need advice. Here is our situation. We have a 2.5 year old who is slightly over 30 pounds. We also have a 5 month old who will probably reach the 20 pound point within a couple of months. So, she will need a car seat change. Thus the dilemma. I am thoroughly confused as to what I should buy.<br><br>
Since my toddler is not at the 40 pound requirement for the booster seat, it eliminates moving him to that. So i think my basic two options are:<br><br>
(1) buy a toddler/booster seat for the 2 yo and put infant in his convertible? The problem with this is that I've been reading consumer reports and although they say that the toddler 5-point harness portion of these seats are okay, they are not recommended for use as a belt positioning seat when the child hits 40 lbs (the only exception was the Cosco Summit High Back Booster). So the disadvantage of doing this would be that I would basically be buying another toddler seat and it too would become useless to us when he does hit 40 pounds.<br><br>
(2) buy a second convertible seat for either 2 yo or infant. Keep them both in convertibles. Deal with the whole booster thing later. This sounds the most safe but we do work on a very limited budget so I struggle with the economical side of it. I know that safety is much more important than money and if this is truly the best decision, we will do it, but I'm just wondering if it is.<br><br>
Moreover, since we have basically decided that it is the best decision to put my ds in another 5 point harness car seat, is it better to buy a second convertible or to buy a toddler/booster combo but only use it with the 5 point harness until ds is 40 pounds? Bascially, is my 2.5 yo safest in a convertible seat (which I'm afraid he might outgrow head-wise???) or a toddler/booster seat, where they seems to be more room, but I'm not confident in the safety factor.<br><br>
And my final question: what kind of time frame am I looking at until my ds (now 2.5 and about 31 pounds) outgrows the convertible and needs to go to a booster seat (40 pounds)? First baby so I have no clue!!!<br><br>
Please give me some advice. I am so confused.<br><br>
Thank you very much.<br><br>
**edited to clarify questions**

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
We have a booster that has a 5 pt. harness and goes from 20-80 pounds. 20-40 with the 5 pt. harness and after that with a seat belt. That's for our 2.5 year old who is slightly under 30 pounds. She's very tall or I'd still have her in the combo seat rear-facing, but she outgrew it. We have the CostCo seat you are talking about and it should serve her well until she's outgrown carseats altogether.<br><br>
For the new one in Feb. I'm going to get a 5 pt. harness infant seat because they really are the safest for a tiny newborn even though the combo seats will work too. When it outgrows that I'll get a combo seat and have it rear-facing as long as possible, then a booster for when it outgrows the combo.<br><br>
I know, expensive. We are a single income not-rich family but in this area I don't mind spending more to ensure the safety of my kids. If you feel you can't afford the combo seat for your wee one, try asking the local firestation for help with that. Most states have programs to give out seats to those who have a hard time affording them.<br><br>
Hope that helps!<br><br>
Darshani

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
i don't know much about carseats....but our carseat safety guy recommends the cosco alpha omega.....he suggests it is the "only one you'll ever need" It can be: read facing, front facing with harness, front facing with seatbelt as a booster. And is generally on sale at target for about 90 bucks.

·
Registered
732 Posts
So are you saying the the toddler/booster combos aren't as safe? That is what I was planning to get for my oldest once the new baby needs his convertible seat. I figured I would buy my first a five point harness that also has the option for the seat belt as he gets older and give the convertible to the baby once he outgrows our infant seat, but are those not as safe? I would like to know more.

·
Registered
160 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;"><i>Originally posted by kerc</i><br><b>i don't know much about carseats....but our carseat safety guy recommends the cosco alpha omega.....he suggests it is the "only one you'll ever need" It can be: read facing, front facing with harness, front facing with seatbelt as a booster. And is generally on sale at target for about 90 bucks.</b></td>
</tr></table></div>
I got this one...but didn't start using it until ds was about 10 months old, it never looked comfortable as a infant seat as it never really reclined enough to look snuggy. So I had a infant carrier/carseat for the first 0-9/10 months.<br><br>
I kept it rearfacing though, from 10-12 months. At a year he became front facing. Eventually I will change it to a toddler seat and then finally a booster seat. It seems to be working so far, it has a 5-point, detachable headrest, removable headrest for infants...all the cute lil doodad's you never thought you'd need.<br><br>
I paid much more for mine, but I do live in Canada...and I think it cost $169 including taxes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts