Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay. I am so very very lost. All these different combos and age limits and ahhh!

Baby Muj is 6 months old, already 19 pounds and 26.5 inches tall. Her bucket seat which we bought at birth only goes to 22 pounds and 29 inches. I've seen kids who were a year old in bucket seats so I thought this would last until then. Little did I know. Actually little do I still know. I'm wondering if she'll just plateau at this weight and height. Heh.

Okay so here are my questions for you lovely ladies out there.

What car seat should I buy before my head explodes???!!!

Basically, we want something that will last, we move around every year or so, so we'd rather not do any storing. We would ideally like to get 1 car seat that will last for as long as possible.

But which car seat will let me keep baby rearfacing for longer?
Will I only know if I can fit it rear facing til I try it in our car?

I bought a true fit and have it sitting in our living room because I'm not sure if it's what I want.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The TrueFit will last the longest of any convertible seat. She probably will plateau soon - DD gained only 1lb between 6 months and 12 months (and was also 19lbs at 6 months). Especially since you already have one, I'd use that one. It's a very good seat.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
Yep I agree, especially since if you're in Canada. It's one of the few seats on the market here that go to 35 pounds rearfacing, plus it has nice high top harness slots for forward facing too.

My littlest is almost 20 pounds at not quite 5 months. I'm glad we have a True Fit for him to go into once he outgrows the Radian (big brother is rear facing in the True Fit right now). I know he'll probably slow down significantly in growth soon (big brother was 20 pounds at 6 months and 21 pounds at a year), but I know even if he doesn't he has the seat that will last him the longest possible time

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I agree with the TrueFit. DS outgrew his bucket at 4 mons in length! So we got him a Radian. At 6 mons he was almost 26 lbs and at a year he was 29.5 lbs. I now have him in a True Fit RF as he went up to 30.5 lbs but he is now back to 29.5 lbs at 17 mons. We still have the Radian and will move him back into it FF when he reaches 35 lbs.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yep - truefit is the best bang for the buck. It's a good seat, rfing to 35lbs, with tall harness slots and shell, and ffing with 5pt harness to 65lbs. We are getting one for dh's car. We are getting a radian xt for the van. Same specs as the truefit, as far as weights and heights.

As for the bucket, and any carseat rearfacing, the height #s are a guideline - you can use the 1" of shell above the head for rearfacing height (since a longer torso-ed child would outgrow the seat before a long-legged kiddo). I know we moved dd out of the bucket around 9mos, purely so she could be more upright in the rfing convertible, and she seemed much more comfortable. She's still happily rfing at 2.5yo!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
As a mama of a big kid myself - you may or may not have to wait a while for that weight to plateau. I kept thinking DD's weight would, but she is walking now and still gaining like crazy though it has slowed a bit (8.7 at birth, 24 lbs at 6 mo, now 31lbs at 11mo). I would still go with the TF for you though, that is your best bet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts