Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I bought my 18 wk old a convertible car seat. This is the first time I have used my latch system. I had my 3 y/o sit in the rear facing car seat, then I put my weight in it. The car seat is super tight, so tight I can not loosen the straps w/o taking off the latch tethers. The seat of the car is pressed into the bench seat of the car.
Can a car seat be too tightly installed?
Also what is the best possible seating arrangement for a rear facing convertible car seat, a graco turbo booster (6 y/o) and a 5 pt harness front facing car seat (3 y/o). We drive a suburban with 2 bench seats in back. I often have my neice (age 15 months) and nephew (age 4) as well.
When we have all 5, I put the 3 older kids in the back and the littles in front. This involves moving car seats though.
TIA
Amanda

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
I don't think it can too tight, you don't want it to move. As long as you're talking about the belt that tightens it to the seat. Obviously the harness part on the baby shouldn't be too tight.

I think your arrangement is just fine, I would put the older kids in the back too, I've heard those bench seats can fall back. I would put the 18 wk baby in the front in the middle. That way if the side gets hit the most fragile child is in the middle kwim?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
I would always, if possible, put the rear facing seat in the center of a bench; on the passenger side if all else fails.

Apparantly, many cars are designed so that the front seats will collapse backwards in the event of an accident. Didn't know that? I didn't. Until a friend of ours was rear ended. Very minor accident - the most damage was the collapsed seats. The insurance company told her it was a design feature. Then my mother was rear ended - same deal. I asked a CPS tech friend of mine and she got her "frustrated" face on and said that's common and that safety folks have been trying to work with the car manufacturers on, but they're not willing to redesign. So, all those awful stickers all over your car that say not to put a rear facing seat in front because it can be crushed by an airbag? How about crushed by the weight of a 200 pound person collapsing backward onto the seat when their own seat collapses?

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaphiraKay
Today, I bought my 18 wk old a convertible car seat. This is the first time I have used my latch system. I had my 3 y/o sit in the rear facing car seat, then I put my weight in it. The car seat is super tight, so tight I can not loosen the straps w/o taking off the latch tethers. The seat of the car is pressed into the bench seat of the car.
Can a car seat be too tightly installed?

Okay, I am understanding this right, when the seat is installed then you can't reach the strap to adjust the harness, is it buried in the back of the car's seat? Which brand of car seat did you buy? I know of at least one seat the Graco ComfortSport which has the harness adjuster positioned so that it in some cars it is next to impossible to adjust when installed RF.

Also, is the seat at a 45º angle. You might need to put a rolled up towel or a pool noodle (you can use up to three taped together) in the seat blight to achieve the right angle.

I highly recommend you contact a local car seat tech to help you out with the installation.

I doubt you have the seat in too tight, but it is possible to install a seat too tighly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To adjust the harness system, I need to reach the front of the seat. With the rear facing seat pressed tightly against the back of the bench seat, I will have to remove the seat, adjust it, them reLATCH it to the seat. She is in the 2nd seat middle and is tethered to the passenger seat to the side. I did not realize that the seat might collapse. I put all three girls in the first bench seat when I just have the three of them. I have been considering putting the oldest two in the back seat and leaving the baby in the middle, it is a tight squeeze to get all three seats in there together since baby's seat is so much wider.
I do not think there is a car seat tech in my area, I live in SE Oklahoma and there are not things like that here. I will try to get to OKC or Dallas soon and get it done there.
Thanks for all of the advice.
I do want to apologize for posting in the incorrect forum, I am never sure what goes where.
Amanda

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SaphiraKay
To adjust the harness system, I need to reach the front of the seat. With the rear facing seat pressed tightly against the back of the bench seat, I will have to remove the seat, adjust it, them reLATCH it to the seat. She is in the 2nd seat middle and is tethered to the passenger seat to the side. I did not realize that the seat might collapse. I put all three girls in the first bench seat when I just have the three of them. I have been considering putting the oldest two in the back seat and leaving the baby in the middle, it is a tight squeeze to get all three seats in there together since baby's seat is so much wider.
I do not think there is a car seat tech in my area, I live in SE Oklahoma and there are not things like that here. I will try to get to OKC or Dallas soon and get it done there.
Thanks for all of the advice.
I do want to apologize for posting in the incorrect forum, I am never sure what goes where.
Amanda
I do think you may have a compatibility issue here because you shouldn't need to do this. You didn't mention which seat you bought, it would be really helpful to know this.

Try searching here or here for a CPS Tech in your area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.