Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-

ok, so today we installed a new convertible car seat. Its the Graco Eddie Bauer 3-in-1 seat. here's the dillema: the bottom buckle is so short that it pinches her little legs (awful). It does not appear that you can lengthen the bottom only, you have to loosen the top (which makes it way too loose on her arms). Has anyone had this seat? Do you know the solution?

Also, Im probably going to return it (if no one has a solution
). Any recommendations. She looks so snug and comfy in the seat (minus pinching the legs at first, of course). I would like something with the same comfort and obviously safe. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
360 Posts
We have a Alpha Omega one and it is really short too. We have pinched DD's skin a few times (OUCH), but he have since learned to put our hand between the buckle and her leg while fastining it. The only thing I can think of, is taking out the extra padding mine has, but I think it would make it uncomfortable then too. DD is also starting to slim down a little and that is helping.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
the eddie bauer 3 in 1 (and really any 3 in 1) is not a great seat, though they're very popular and sound good. it's hard to get a good RF installation, the top harness slots are really low, and it doesn't make a good booster. so really it's not good at any of the 3 stages it's supposed to be for.

i also recommend a britax (boulevard or marathon) they are well worth the money, and will last you years. they have a 65 pound weight limit, high harness slots, and are really user friendly.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i have to disagree, we have a cosco 3 in 1........and i LOVE it. My son has a long torso and the lowest slots work fine, beter than some of the higer priced ones we tryed in the store. the lower clip is a pretty good length, and once we figured out how hard to push down to get the seatbelt tight enough, the rearfacing instalation wasn't that hard. It has a 65lb weight limit and 35 (if im remembering rightly) on rear facing.

all i can say is try putting your hand behind it as you clip her in, and if you keep having problems, then return it. Try the seat straps in the store to help you get a good idea, we returned a graco seat before we got out cosco one.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
The Cosco Alpha Omega 3-in-1 (and the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1, same seat different cover) only harnesses up to 40 pounds, after that it has to be used as a belt positioning booster. Also, the top harness slots are only for use in booster mode. It's not a very good seat overall and you can get much better value for your money with most other seats.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. My Dh has a graco (different) car seat that he put in his truck, so I will see how he feels about this one. If he likes it/does not injure my child
then I will return the eddie one for this one, if not I really do like the brittax car seat (but they are pretty expensive....about about $80 more than the eddie one).

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
The Britax may be worth it though. Car seats only last 6 years, then they need to be thrown away bc plastic breaks down and structural damage can occur. So, even a 3 in 1 will not last as long as you need it....your child will only be 6 when it expires and will still need a booster. You might as well have her harnessed longer in a marathon for a little more money then buy a booster (which are under $100, even for Britax) when the time comes (in perhaps 5 years!). Also, Fisher Price now makes a copy of the Marathon that was made in cohoots with Britax, that is missing a couple bells and whistles and but is still almost the same seat and is probably the same price as the Eddie Bauer you bought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts