Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another car seat thread I see that babies under one year have been switched out of infant seats and into convertable seats. I thought that convertables were the next step up after one year and twenty pounds?<br><br>
I ask because my son also HATES the car seat and I am eagerly waiting for him to reach one year so he can face forward in a convertable.<br><br>
Anyone know?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
After the newborn stage (when many babies don't fit well in convertibles) a convertible seat is a great choice. BUT, you want it rear facing, not forward facing. RF is much much MUCH safer. My 2.5yr old is still rear facing and will remain so to the limits of her seat (boulevard- so 33lbs in this case)<br><br>
Most convertibles are actually rated for newborns, but don't really fit them well (straps are too high)<br><br>
-Angela

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Switching to a convertible seat and switching to forward facing are two VERY different things, as the PP said. The <i>minimum</i> for forward facing - no matter what kind of seat - is one year AND 20 pounds. But many people rear face a lot longer, and many convertible seats are rated for rear facing up to 30 or 35 pounds.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
My baby hated the infant seat too, so when she was big enough to fit into the convertible, we switched her to it, BUT left it rear-facing and it will stay RFing until she's 35 lbs (the weight limit for RFing in our convertible).<br><br>
I found that my babe fussed most when she was hot -- so I'd strip her down to the bare essentials and that helped. They get hot in the back seat easily, since most cars don't have a separate A/C vent for the backseat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts