Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is about 28 months - suddenly he hates the carseat! He keeps yelling that he's "stuck" cuz he can't get out. (I've checked to make sure that the straps aren't too tight - he just doesn't like that he's confined to the seat). He cries and fusses and WHINES! He is normally such an easy, happy dude but the car is a source of MISERY right now.

We are headed 3+ hours away for Thanksgiving. I am dreading the trip parts because I fear he's going to howl and make himself and us miserable the whole way.
:

What do you do for your carseat hating toddler?

Thank you!

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's hard for them to be all stuck in sometimes. Have you got many distractions for the journey? We have a few books we rotate into the car. We have a small magna doodle thing and we've just bought a small whiteboard with pen and a sponge to draw things free hand.

If he has something special to look forward to when he goes into the car he may like the seat better. Have you tried moving the seat to the other side for a change?
When he's quiet I would make a super fuss of him and tell him how great he looks in his seat. Bit of positive reinforcement- thought gritted teeth

When all else fails I usually put on the radio/ his music cd or audio story and sing along ignoring. It lifts my spirits and usually his pretty quick ( My kids work well with distraction )
Good luck with the journey I'm sure it's just a phase . Let us know how it goes.....
HTH

·
Registered
196 Posts
my sons like that , hes only 15 mths though, its not being in the carseat though its getting him in there and strapped in . he like arches his back and stands and stuff takes me about 15 min to get him in but he has a tendency to lean over etc. i havent foudn a way that works lol. im thikin maybe a portable dvd player to put on the back of the front seat to keep em occupied for the driving, i invested in one during the day after thanksgiving sale at my work last year cuz i know it will be handy eventually .

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I know, those long trips are hard! We are travelling 4 hrs for Thanksgiving, so I hear ya. I second the audio tapes or CDs. We check them out from the library. Also have you tried explaining the safety aspect to him? Sometimes they're more willing to cooperate if you explain the importance of what you're doing. Another idea: sometimes I tape up pictures in the car so my DS has something to look at. I just bring along a parenting magazine of some type, and tape up the ads for diapers and whatnot, since they have babies/toddlers and that's fun for him to look at. Snacks, singing, sometimes sitting next to him...I hope there's something here that can help you! Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mamas. I have downloaded some good music and will try to have some interesting stuff in the car. We're planning to depart at naptime with the hopes that he'll conk out for part of the drive and that will help. Poor kid, I just feel bad that he's so frustrated. It is no fun to hear him whine and scream but safety is non-negotiable.

Wish us luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts