Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many carbs do you guys eat a day? I know I probably eat entirely too many since they are my favorite. I was thinking that having a no carb dinner and just having carbs at breakfast and lunch would be a better option. Any opinions on this subject?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Somewhere around 260 grams a day. Don't start restricting your carbs if you really have no idea how much you're eating - you don't want to eat too little because you need carbs for your brain to function.

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
carbs are not bad.<br><br>
refined carbs in excess can be bad.<br><br>
I'm eating some yummy carbs right now, in the form of steamed brown rice with my thai lunch (and green peppers, bamboo shoots and asian squash)<br><br>
I just did a diet analysis, and 50% of my calories were from carbohydrates. I did the math and that's around 215g of carbs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow... ok.. I had organic whole grain waffles and fruit for breakfast, a sweet potato and fish for lunch, and chili w/lean bison and baked potato wedges. I looked it up and it's 80g. I wasn't trying at all to watch my carbs. I am trying to watch my calories though.

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
I eat a lot of carbs - they definitely make up the majority of my diet, and I'm at a healthy weight. Like a pp said, carbs are not bad, but you want to avoid processed or refined carbs as much as possible (just like you want to avoid processed/refined food in general). Remember that some of the healthiest groups of people on the planet eat high carb diets, and if you're watching your calories then cutting out fat would be better than cutting carbs since fat has more that twice as many calories per gram.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this great article explaining this -- It really explains how there are good carbs and bad carbs.<br>
Thanks for the comments --<br><br><a href="http://www.mikementzer.com/skinner070703.html" target="_blank">http://www.mikementzer.com/skinner070703.html</a>

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I think it is hard to come up w/ a one size fits all approach.<br><br>
I think some people do great on whole grains or higher carbs. I'm not one of them. I've never had weight issues, but I have PCOS. I technically don't test positive for insulin resistance via bloodwork, but I respond by ovulating when I'm on metformin (an insulin sensitizer) and low carbing.<br><br>
5-10 percent of women have PCOS. I've read that probably about 20% of the population has syndrome X/insulin resistance type of genetic makeup. A recent study came out where they looked at 18,000 Harvard nurses and found that women could boost their fertility by low carbing if they were having ovulatory issues. They weren't necessarily diagnosed w/ PCOS.<br><br>
I think like many things, insulin resistance is a spectrum. Some of us have much more normal hormones and a healthier body when we minimize carbs. I was a vegetarian for 8 years, and I've always eaten low glycemic/whole foods/whole grains. For me, that doesn't work. My body does much, much better w/ a low carb way of eating, and that is independent of any concern for weight loss. I don't need to lose weight, but I do minimize carbs for my own personal health. My hormones are far worse on a higher carb diet.<br><br>
I probably do about 100g or less per day. SOme days more like 30-50, some days probably a little more than 100, but I'd say 50-100 in a typical day.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I do best on lower carbs - around 40-60 grams per day. Yes, carbs can be brain fuel but your brain is also designed to run on ketones as well, and actually your heart and brain are more efficient on ketones than carbs.<br><a href="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E2D61F3EF934A35754C0A9649C8B63&sec=health" target="_blank"><br>
This is a great article.</a><br><br>
BTW, I also have PCOS and I should clarify that while I do best on low carb (like 40 grams daily) I am usually way over that! But when I stick to lower carb I feel excellent.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts