Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>We're helping take care of a neighbor's dog while they're on vacation.  The dog, an unfixed 2+ yr cockapoo, has always been aggressive towards us, in spite of our trying to win it over with attention and treats.  It will occasionally allow us to pet it, but it's just not a friendly dog.  The neighbors left early this am, and the other care giver couldn't even get in the house.  Dh tried later and managed to get the dog outside and back in.  Any tips for us?  I think the aggression now (perhaps always) is coming from fear and anxiety, but the dog has always been a barker, lunger, nipper.  I considered bringing the dog to our home to help it's loneliness and anxiety, but it poops and pees in the house (has done both in my home when the owners bring it over), and of course I don't want my kids bitten.</p>

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
<p>With fearful dogs its usually best to ignore them.  I would walk into the house, tossing treats (gently of course lol) and otherwise basically ignore the dog.  Once it seemed to accept this, then you could move on to more</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And what good neighbors you are!!!</p>

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
<p>I can't believe you are nice enough to have agreed to care for an aggressive dog! Honestly, if the dog's too aggressive to let you into the house to walk it, I'd call the people and tell them they need to hire a pro dog walker or have the dog taken to a kennel. That's just too much to ask of a neighbor.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Greenmajik, dh essentially did what you suggested and the dog ran around him to get outside, so that worked fine.  Twice later in the day he'd relaxed enough that I could pet him, and I was able to walk him on a leash.  I'll think we'll be fine from now on.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Katielady, I agree with your sentiment, but it's a long story.</p>

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
<p>I hope the neighbors decide to start helping this poor dog overcome his fears, it is not fun for them to live like that:(</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thank you so much for taking the time to do your best at making him comfortable as you can!</p>

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Well Greenmajik, you've got a bigger heart than I do, I must admit.   But I've gotten a lot more fond of him over the last few days.  Not having him snap, growl, and lunge at me has sure helped me like him.  He did try a leg hump yesterday, but got right down when I said 'no!'  He's coming when I call, and will sit and lie down for me.  And we've gotten him to stay in our home for a few minutes before he begs to go out and back to his.  He is amazingly devoted to him family, particularly the mom.  He sits at the window watching for them to return.  Even when I'm giving him attention and treats, he returns to his window vigil.  When they are home, and mom leaves him home to come over to visit, he whines constantly.  He knows when she is here, within walking distance, vs when she goes running or out in the car.  I'd invite him to come any time, except that he's peed and pooped in my house right next to his mom!  So far no accidents in the house since they left, though, which is interesting considering he has them regularly when his family is home.  He's not really eating, though.  He'll eat lunch meat, roast pork, etc., out of my hand, but has barely touched his dry food.  They've been gone 4 days!  But he's peeing and pooping, so I guess the treats are holding him over.  They'll be back in 2 days.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts