Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking for a carob icing to cover some date/nut bars that I've made. I've tried the carob sauce recipe in NT, but it's too mushy. I want an icing that hardens. I've tried with dark chocolate, a bit of butter and coconut oil, and it turned out delicious, but now I'd like to try with carob. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Would melting carob chips work? I made some cookies with Chatfield carob chips and they were unpleasantly hard in that application, but similar to the icing on a local co-op's "O'Henry Bars".

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, emgremore. I live in Sweden, however, and can't find carob chips here. Maybe I'll try the NT recipe with lots less butter, like Ruthla mentioned.

If anyone has a recipe, though, I'd love to know it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joy! You found me here!
:

Funny that you eat the dates before making bars. We've actually stopped eating dates plain. For some reason, I've lost the taste for them. But, the date/soaked-dehydrated almond bars.... yummmm...
: Especially topped with carob or chocolate.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I converted my grandmother's fudge frosting recipe to use carob, but have not tried it yet. Let me know if this works:
6 Tbsp carob powder
1 1/2 cups sugar (I know, this needs something better - sub your favourite sweetener)
1/4 cup butter + 2 Tbsp
11 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp oil
1/4 tsp salt

Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Cool.

What do you think would work for a sugar substitute (I am assuming you want this more NT) and still get you the fudge consistency? Maple sugar? Rapidura? I have not done a lot of experimentation with what results you get from different sugar subs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.