Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm 19 weeks pregnant now and have developed carpal tunnel (due to pregnancy) in BOTH wrists. My fingers go numb and I have horrible pain all the way up to my elbow. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and I can only sleep for about 30 minutes at a time.
: I've been sleeping with ice packs on my arms, but it's not helping. I also wear a wrist splint during the day. I had the same problem with pregnancy #1, but this time it's SOOOO much worse.

Does anybody else have this? Any cure besides delivery? I was looking into acupuncture or chiropractic adjustmenst on my writsts. At this point...I will try ANYTHING!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I started a similar thread in my due date club and got no response, so I will also be following yours!

Mine is off and on, but it is becoming a problem. I'm 23 weeks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Have you tried to wear the wrist splints at night? I know when I had CTS post-partum last pg that helped a lot. Oh, swimming helped a lot too.

This time around (2nd pg) my CTS is starting to flare up earlier (it started before 20 wks) and seems to be worse too.

Loree

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've tried the splints at night. Doesn't do much good. I also tried tylenol...didn't help. I swim as often as I can and even "floated" in DS little swimming pool the other night.
He refused to get in with me.

I think I'm ready for acupuncture....

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I had no idea of the true agony of CTS until I hit about 16-18 weeks pregnant. I would literally wake up crying and screaming from the pain. This provided complete relief for me until I neared the end of my first pregnancy:

In the Bradley method of childbirth, they recommend a sleep/relaxation position, where you're kind of on your side/belly, with the top leg bent and propped on a pillow, the bottom arm behind you and the top arm also bent and propped on a pillow. It's really complicated to explain, but the book (the one with all the naked pictures from the 1970's!) has a great illustration of how to do it. I called my Bradley instructor LOOONG before we were scheduled to take the class to see if she had any ideas, because the splints weren't doing jack to help my pain. She suggested I try sleeping this way, so I gave it a shot. The relief was immediate and, as I said, lasted nearly until I gave birth.

Hope that's helpful information for y'all ... I'm only 4 weeks pg and already have my pillows ready to go!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Kind of. The point to the position is to take the pressure off points of the body that would normally be pinched or compressed, so the top arm & leg need to be supported by pillows and the bottom arm needs to be behind you. Also, it's best to keep some bend to all your limbs.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
There are stretches you can do. Ask your doc for an OT referal so you could meet with them and learn the various moves. They are kinda hard to explain over the 'net, lol.

Also, try warm packs. They always worked best for my mom. She's had CTS for 17 years now and had three surgeries that didn't do anything to help it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I also had CTS in pregnancy and postpartum. For me the problem was not only in my wrists but in my neck. Seems unrelated but neck issues caused pinching on nerves that go down my arms. If you don't find relief with sleeping positions, you might think about a chiropractor. Mine claims he can almost always offer complete relief with neck and wrist adjustments. just a thought,
violet

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Oh, your post brought back memories of pg #1.

You've gotten lots of helpful advice, so I won't repeat it...but I just wanted to offer that mine disappeared after ds was born! There is hope.....

Hang in there, mama.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
elmh23~ The hot packs work wonders!!!! I still have the pain, but it really does help to keep heat on it.

heathenmom~ The "spooning of the pillow" also helps a ton.

Thanks for the great tips.

I did finally have acupuncture today. I've never experienced that before, but she said that it will take 3-4 treatments before I notice a difference. My next apt is next Thursday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If I may also suggest, using a Certified Massage Therapist! They know more areas that can trigger the CTS, and help alliviate the pain. My best friend is a CMT, and since I suffer from CTS when I am preggo too, he's become my bestest friend, lol!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
I've had to use a brace on my right wrist at times, including the entire last trimester of my last pregnancy. It started much earlier this time around.

My midwives suggested I try Horse Chestnut for varicose veins (good for vascular issues) and, surprisingly, I've not had one flare up of the pain in my wrist since taking it. It may be coincidence, but it's the only connection I can find...I'm gonna talk with the mw's about it at my next appt.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I mentioned my carpal tunnel to my midwife's assistant and she said a few chiropractor visits cleared hers up entirely. I don't think hers was related to pregnancy, but still it sounds like a miracle! I'm going to try it anyways... I've had CTS for a while. Too much typing! I have noticed it getting worse now though.

I hope you feel better!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts