Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past few days I've had a pain in my right hand/arm, and it's starting to develop in my left now as well. Midwife said today that it sounds like carpal tunnel, so I'm booking in with the physio.

A coworker of mine had this in her last pregnancy and it was horrible for her. Luckily mine's nothing like that, and I only have 4 weeks to go.

Anyone else experiencing it?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes, although not a severely as I had it with mith my first. I was knitting last night and really felt it coming back. Try to sleep with one of those braces on. It really helps. It can be quite uncomfortable, but it does go away post-baby.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
hi there, not in your ddc but thought Id give my 2 cents. I had this when i was pg with ds. I had no idea you could have pregnancy induced carpel tunnel. Im glad to report that as soon as I gave birth Ive had no more problems with it.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I did earlier on related to fluid retention. For some reason, it went away. For a few weeks though, I wore wrist supports at night which helped.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I had it really bad with DD and much less so this time around. The best advice I heard was to try to sleep with your arms straight, especially the wrist. That made a HUGE difference for me. I didn't go the splint/brace route, just tried to be conscious of how my arms were positioned before I fell asleep and every time I woke up.

It did not completely resolve itself after DD was born. A year after her birth I was still having very mild symptoms but nothing to complain about really. I was expecting it back this time around and have been pleaseantly surprised. I think the fluid retention has a lot to do with it, as a PP suggested. I have WAY less fluid retention this time than last time.

Vit B12 is supposed to help with fluid and has been shown to be beneficial in helping with regular (non preg related) carpal tunnel. Try upping your B12?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I have it pretty badly with my left hand and some with my right. It just started recently. Totally annoying. CP's said it was due to fluid retention and that it would go away right after she's born. I hope so, because yesterday, it felt like my finger tips were burning off.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Midwife said this was due to the excess swelling I've had this week, which makes sense when I read about causes of carpal tunnel.

I've upped my B12 in the past week anyway, and sleeping with straight arms. Might try one of the braces tonight and see how that goes. It's not terrible pain, but I work a lot with my hands, so it's more annoying than anything.

Normally a sleep overnight brings my swelling right down, but the past week it hasn't at all. BP seems ok though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.