Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used an Ergo for the first year. Then, from 13 mos to now, at 18 mos, no carrying due to a slipped disc and subsequent surgery. I put DS in the Ergo this morning because he could not let go of my legs. He loved it and calmed right down.

But, he is SOO long/tall. He is in the 95th percentile for his age - about 35 inches? The Ergo barely comes up to the small of his back, so it seems like he would be able to bend or arch out of it very easily. I couldn't even get his arms under the shoulder straps (admitedly I didn't try very hard).

Any suggestions for--

a structured carrier
that's good for back carries
that might be good/easy on MY back.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
I definitely think you should stick in the category of soft structured carrier. What about a Kanga -- I know she makes them in different sizes?

http://www.bloo-kangaroo.com/

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I was going to say Beco's are a bit taller than Ergo's. My 2 yo actually prefers the Ergo nowadays because he likes to have his arms out.
Serious question, are they not supposed to be able to have their arms out in the Beco? I ask b/c DD keeps her arms out, but maybe I'm not doing something right?

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by earthgirl View Post
Serious question, are they not supposed to be able to have their arms out in the Beco? I ask b/c DD keeps her arms out, but maybe I'm not doing something right?
oh, I think it's fine. My DS does sometimes in the Beco, too. But it's a bit harder for him to wiggle up and get them out, and the webbing strap kinda digs under his arm pits -- if that makes sense. He seems to like the Ergo better... at least that's what he brings me more often saying "baby carry, mama!"

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Does anyone here have a Toddler Patapum? My son is also tall (36" @ almost 2) and he always tries to arch his back while in the Ergo or my BabyHawk. Neither one feels particularly fantastic these days (the BH feels a little better than the Ergo). Anyone?

·
Registered
104 Posts
We have both a Kanga XT and an Olives & Applesauce full buckle 18". They're both good. I think the O&A is taller in the body, whereas the Kanga has a tall headrest. Rather the same construction as a babyhawk, the headrest sticks up past where the armstraps attach. So it might depend on whether your lo likes to have arms out or in or what.

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad to see all the suggestions on this thread.

I forgot to add -- I am VERY skinny. Does that make any difference?
I wear the Ergo on the tightest cinching of the waistband.

The Kanga XL refers to the sizing for the child, right? not anything to do with the mama?

(We're dealing with allergies, so I'm not eating a lot of foods I used to eat.)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
oh, I think it's fine. My DS does sometimes in the Beco, too. But it's a bit harder for him to wiggle up and get them out, and the webbing strap kinda digs under his arm pits -- if that makes sense. He seems to like the Ergo better... at least that's what he brings me more often saying "baby carry, mama!"
I gotcha! I forgot about the webbing under the arms. It doesn't seem to bother DD, but that's probably b/c we're STILL in freakin sweaters around here.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Draupadi View Post
Does anyone here have a Toddler Patapum? My son is also tall (36" @ almost 2) and he always tries to arch his back while in the Ergo or my BabyHawk. Neither one feels particularly fantastic these days (the BH feels a little better than the Ergo). Anyone?
We got a Beco and a toddler Patapum at the same time. The Patapum got sent back. It seems to be fine and it was really comfortable once I got it on. The shoulder straps are really padded, more so than the Beco. But, I had a hard time adjusting the straps once DD was actually on me. And it wasn't the easiest carrier to get on b/c you have to make sure their feet go through these straps. (Here's a good tutorial.) I think I probably would have gotten used to this with practice, but it just annoyed me.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
see my recent poll on a similar issue. alas, there is no substitute for trying them on. i found the beco most comfortable for me and the long carriers i thought i would love (eg angelpack) i absolutely hated on me! i liked the beco butterfly ii best but dd didn't like getting into it. i went with a pikkolo. the good news is that every ssc is going to be longer than the ergo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.