Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading timneh_mom's post on slinging and baby carrying and I was wondering "why is Baby Bjorn not as popular a carrier?" First timer here, so excuse the stupidity.

I was given an almost brand new Baby Bjorn Active by my older sister. I was thrilled because they are really expensive and I remembered liking the Bjorn when I carried "one of my sister's babies in it a few years ago. We were at a state park, hiking, and I remember thinking "this is the most comfortable and stable carrier ever!" I also remember thinking "when I have babies, I want one of these"....
Since then, however, I've been hearing a lot more about slings and wraps....from trusted moms that I really respect and share viewpoints with. So, tell me what's up? Should I be purchasing a wrap/sling for some reason that I just haven't figured out yet? I was considering having both Bjorn and wrap/sling on hand anyway. I assume babies/moms come to like different things as baby grows larger. MaricopaMom said she has a Bjorn, but will probably get little use from it this time around. Why? Here's a few things that run through my head often:

Is it easier to breastfeed with a wrap or sling, even with a newborn?
Is it the price of the Bjorn that people stay away from?
Are wraps and slings just more comfortable to you?
How did your husbands/partners like baby bjorn, slings, or wraps?
How much activity/walking are you doing? Does this in any way affect the carrier that you choose?

Innocently wondering.....

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Is it easier to breastfeed with a wrap or sling, even with a newborn? I find it easier to use a sling/wrap for breastfeeding.

Is it the price of the Bjorn that people stay away from? Some slings can be wicked expensive too..

Are wraps and slings just more comfortable to you? I don't like how the Bjorn carries the child at the hip level...I was taught that the baby/child's hips need to be more in a seated type position instead of hanging downwards

How did your husbands/partners like baby bjorn, slings, or wraps? My DH loved the sling

How much activity/walking are you doing? Does this in any way affect the carrier that you choose? We walked some, but I used the sling for shopping & getting things done in the house.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I used a bjorn with my first and it was just so uncomfortable after he reached 10 pounds or so. I then moved on to slings and couldn't get very comfortable in them either. With my daughter I found the pouch and then the wrap (at about 4 months) which was so comfortable but more work than was worth it to me. I then moved onto the Ergo and stuck with that (until I was recently introduced to the bECO which is just like the Ergo only beautiful fabrics) the Ergo is the best carrier IMO. It is so comfortable on the front or back, it doesn't put all of the strain on baby's spine because baby is in a seated position instead of hanging.

I plan to use my pouches starting out with this little one and move onto my bECO and Ergo as she gets to be 5 months or so. I like the pouch for tiny babies because it is so easy to get them in there--as long as you have the right size of pouch. It is comfortable and easy to nurse in. Once baby gets heavier I like having two shoulders instead of one. Once my dd reached about 15 pounds I felt lopsided from carrying her in the pouch or sling. You can also easily nurse in the ergo or other 2 shouldered carriers once baby has good head control. The bjorn is impossible to nurse in without unhooking the straps.

·
Registered
493 Posts
We had a Baby Bjorn with our first. My dh used it a lot, but I found that it really hurt my back if I wore it too long. I never got the hang of our padded ring sling, so I ended up carrierless until ds was 6 months old and we got an Ergo - I love the Ergo! It puts the weight on your hips instead of pulling your back/shoulders. This time around, I got a couple pouch slings and an unpadded ring sling to try when the baby is little. I'm hoping to find something comfy that I can nurse in. I also got an Ergo infant insert in case I need the 2 shoulder + hip supprt.

I guess my advice is to try several different carriers and not give up if something doesn't work. I picked up used pouches and a ring sling for ~$15-20 each, so it wasn't a huge cost. Don't give up on the Baby Bjorn before you even try it, but do keep in mind that there are lots of options out there.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I was given a cheaper brand of Baby Bjorn, because people at my church decided that my son was "uncomfortable" in a forward front carry, and I tried it. I found that there were too many buckles compared to a sling, where once you've got the knack (there is a bit of a learning curve) you can basically just pop baby in there and go. I think for tiny babies, a sling is also more womb like, which is really comforting. And yeah, they are easy to breastfeed in. I have discreetly fed my son while wandering around a furniture store with our sling and a nursing shirt on, and I don't think you could do that with a baby bjorn -type carrier. Plus the hip development is a factor early on.

Dh never really got the knack of the sling, but once ds' head was stronger and it was warm enough outside, we got a hard frame hiking backpack that they both loved. We carried our son all over Ireland in it when he was 11 mos, and it was brilliant.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Living in NYC I am going for comfort since my legs are my wheels!! But the Bjorn is the most popular carrier here, I think that for newborns it looks uncomfortable and once they are past 15 lbs I have heard people complain about their shoulders. For me I need something that I can wear for long periods of walking, so that is why I am going with slings and wraps, plus I willl have to nurse while I am out and you can't nurse in a Bjorn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do the babies "sit" in an ergo. The web page for them probably shows it, but since i have used a cheap Bjorn-like carrier in the past I don't see how they work.
Teresa
EDD2/21/07

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much for all your advice and thoughts! I didn't know about the issue of spondylolisthesis or incorrect hip development. I'm definetly gonna look into that!! I'm also really interested in the ergo now! Thanks
And I think I need to do some more research on pouches and slings.
I guess I was just naive enough to think that I would want to take my little one out of her carrier for every nursing. But, once breastfeeding is firmly underway, it would be a lot nicer to not have to do all that switching around and hasseling with buckles just to calm your baby.

It's amazing how many options and choices there are out there. Sometimes it's hard to know what will work for you and your family. You guys are great! Keep it coming....

·
Registered
638 Posts
I used a pouch sling for my baby when he was really little, but once he wanted to sit up and see the world, I could never get him comfortable because he didn't want to have his legs bunched up and he was still too wobbly to put on my hip. Besides, to me he never felt really secure in the sling (like I couldn't bend over, etc' without fear that he would fall out). I never figured out how to nurse in the sling either, although I had some friends that could do it. So I switched to the Baby Bjorn and that worked better for us. My husband mostly used it when we were all out together and we used it pretty much til he was 6 months old. I didn't worry too much about the hip problems because it's not like I was carrying him around in it every day. I also got an ERGO but the big downsides to me were that you can't have the baby in front facing out which is what they really want to do so they can see the world, it was a pain in the butt to get him on my back (again this could just be my lack of coordination), and when he was on my back he was too low so he couldn't see over my shoulder like they can with the frame backpacks so he would get frustrated if I was talking to someone in front of me because he couldn't see what was going on. Anyhow, I think this time I will probably use the sling on short trips or the Ergo on long trips until this baby wants to see out and then pick up a Baby Bjorn (I had borrowed it the last time and had to give it back).

Minta
mom to 2 and 1 on the way...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts