Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - that was a muddled opening line there.

I have moderate sewing skills, and would like to make a new sling or wrap.

My family is moving to a farm, and one of the responsibilities we'll have is to feed several boarded horses.

I *think* a 2-shoulder design would be more secure for this than a basic ring sling is.

I am looking for suggestions on style, and design, and also specific fabrics.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should add, my daughter freaks if her legs are dangling - I have to keep her all tucked in still.

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
ABCs are totally easy to make, I made one in about 3 hours in September, and that includes figuring out the pattern and interruptions. I love the security of the two shoulder carry for doing chores. Also when I use the back carry, I don't have the swing and high center of gravity like I have had with a back pack, because the baby is carried so low. We love the kangaroo carry too, and Jack is 22 lbs and 7 months. I made the body of the ABC pretty big for this reason. The bigger body also keeps his legs from dangling in the tummy to tummy; rather they are wrapped around me.

Regarding plus size-ness, I have to admit the ABC as a back carry is not flattering at all.
I use it for cooking and find that an apron makes me much more comfortable about how I look.

HTH!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
The FrankenKozy is super easy to make and I'm not even that great of a seamstress, either! I've made one and have a few suggestions for you.

I'd have the bottoms straps coming straight out the sides instead of angled.
I'd taper the ends, too. The extra wide fabric is nice across your back, but makes for a very bulky and not very secure knot, IME.
Never having seen an ABC before, I thought I needed a heavier fabric for the support. But now it doesn't really conform around DS and is a bit too bulky for comfort. That could be affecting the knot tying, too, but I still would taper the ends! Now I wish I'd made it out of a much lighter weight fabric w/ the other changes and it'd be perfect.

I made a really cute little pocket on the front that was elasticized for keys, wallet whatever that I really like, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.