Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the recipes seem to be full of sugar and crap, and last time I tried to modify one (by replacing the flour with ww flour and sweetening with pineapples and molasses instead of sugar), it flopped miserably...<br><br>
Anyone have a good healthy recipe they wouldn't mind sharing? Preferably very low on sugar and vegetarian.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Registered
490 Posts
<span style="font-size:medium;">i don't have an exact recipe, but if you take a standard yellow or white cake recipe, you can do some switching around to get to carrot cake. only switch out half the flour for ww flour, otherwise it gets too heavy. try using pineapple juice, a jar of carrot baby food, and honey for sweetening. add grated carrots, raisins, chopped or shredded pineapple, chopped nuts (walnuts are best, but pecans work, too), maybe some unsweetened grated coconut, a couple tbs of ground flax seed.<br><br>
for icing i use a cream cheese frosting, which is just a couple cups of powdered sugar, a few tbs of milk, a tsp of vanilla, a stick of butter and a brick of cream cheese. not exactly healthy, but omg so good.<br><br>
sorry i'm not more specific, but i rarely use recipes. i just improvise! hth!</span>

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I've made this one, called "carrots and nothing else cake." However, I think the oil does add some yum.. it can be made with applesauce or oil.<br><a href="http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=13696.0" target="_blank">here.</a><br>
it does call for some sugar but i had reduced it when i made it, and it's fine without much of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts