Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help and I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists.

My DS is about 3 minutes away from out- growing his Britex Marathon and I want to keep him in a 5 point harness. I also need a car seat that is approved for airlines because we have travel plans and I really don't like the idea of his seat being tossed around under the plane (I have SEEN this happen).

So, is there a seat out there that has a 5-point harness for a more than 65 pound kid that is approved for use on an airline?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,615 Posts
The only carseat currently on the market that is FAA approved and harnesses higher than 65 pounds is the Sunshine Kids Radian80; however, most children will not be able to reach 80 pounds in that seat because it has 18" top strap slots (it does allow use when shoulders are over the strap slots, but it still will not accomodate most 80-pound children). The new Recaros (Como and Signo) coming out late summer/early fall will harness to 70 and will most likely be FAA approved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post
The new Recaros (Como and Signo) coming out late summer/early fall will harness to 70 and will most likely be FAA approved.
Their website says they're FAA approved


-Angela
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,314 Posts
I was going to suggest this:

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

but they say this:

"Q. What is the upper age limit for children to use CARES?
A. Children who are 4 years old, weigh at least 44 pounds and are more than 40 inches tall are considered old enough and strong enough to travel without an airplane child safety belt."


Maybe you could call them and find out if you could still use the belt safely? I am very annoyed that they think 44 pounds is "safe."

Anyway, I am not using my car seat on the airplane any more in favor of this product and I hope that I don't have to start again at 44 pounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,159 Posts
Where are his shoulders in regards to the top slots? How much does he weigh? We have the Radian65 and it's supposed to travel really well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
OK. For some reason I thought that even seats approved for higher weights (like the Boulevard) couldn't be used on an airplane past 40lbs. Am I wrong? I sure hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
megin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by megincl View Post
OK. For some reason I thought that even seats approved for higher weights (like the Boulevard) couldn't be used on an airplane past 40lbs. Am I wrong? I sure hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!
megin

You're wrong!
If the seat is FAA approved, it's FAA approved, period. (Well except seats that change to a booster, don't know if they're FAA approved or not because I wouldn't waste money on them, but boosters can't be used on a plane.)

-Angela
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,124 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
You're wrong!
If the seat is FAA approved, it's FAA approved, period. (Well except seats that change to a booster, don't know if they're FAA approved or not because I wouldn't waste money on them, but boosters can't be used on a plane.)

-Angela

Wahoo!!!!!!! This is the best news I've heard all day.

Thanks so much!

megin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! He is outgrowing his seat both in height and weight. Of the seats suggested, only the Radian 80 makes sense -The Recaro only goes to 70 lbs. and I just can't see buying a carseat for only 5 more pounds. The Radian gives us 15 more so it should last a few years. His shoulder height is 16", so the Radian would give him 2" to grow in his torso before outgrowing it, too.

Why in the world don't more car seats go to higher weights?????

Does anyone know of any others?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
How old is he?

Since he's really big, I'd just bite the bullet and get a regent and let him sit in the lap belt on the plane personally.

-Angela
She needs her carseat when she travels and doesn't want it in the plane cargo area.

The Radian has 18" top slots and can be used till the tips of the ears are even w/ the seat, so really about 19.5" if used that way.
I would get the Radian 80 in this case, though I rarely reccomend it b/c most kids don't use the full weight range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,622 Posts
It's just an idea and I don't know if they are available, but what about getting a hard case for the car seat you have, so it is better protected in the cargo area? Or getting a hard sided suitcase that it can fit in, with some clothing around it to keep it from being banged around?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna View Post
missed that this time around... sorry. Back to my first suggestion of the radian 80....

But I'm not sure how long that will buy you- depends on how fast he's growing.

-Angela
No worries! I had originally thought to purchase the Regent and was surprised to find it not FAA approved. I have already grumped to Britax about it. DS is 6 1/2 so is not growing that fast anymore -- well, relatively speaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverSky View Post
It's just an idea and I don't know if they are available, but what about getting a hard case for the car seat you have, so it is better protected in the cargo area? Or getting a hard sided suitcase that it can fit in, with some clothing around it to keep it from being banged around?
I don't think I have ever seen a suitcase that big.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top