Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all you mamas!

My babe is about 1 inch away from outgrowing his infant carseat (the one that comes with the travel system) So we are in the market for a new carseat. We have looked at so many, and it is so confusing! Money is not an issue, because my grandparents are buying it for us, so I automatically gavitated towards the Britax models (Roundabout and Marathon) because in my mind "The more money it costs, the more quality it is" and truthfully, as far as fabric, straps, and padding goes, they did seem to be the most quality product. The roundabout is nice and cushy on the back/butt area, where other carseats it was just the fabric on the hard plastic underneath.
The roundabout goes forward facing til 45 pounds, for 220.
The Marathon goes forward facing til 65 pounds, for 280.
:

So in theory, Eli could be in the Marathon until he is out of carseats pretty much, but do kids actually stay in carseats that long? Do they prefer boosters after a certain age? Would it be more worth it in the long run to get the roundabout and a booster, then just the marathon?

I am just so confused!! Are there better models then the Britax?
So are the Britax models worth the hefty price tag?
What kind of carseat do you have, and would you reccomend it?

Thanks In Advance for all your input!

ETA: Oh, And we need a convertable model, too! I forgot to mention that. My babe is only 5mo old.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
with my firstborn, I had the Roundabout.

With my 2nd I bought a Marathon.

Definitely get the Marathon. You can use it as a 5 pt harness MUCH longer.

My son is in a 5 pt harness Britax Husky (now called the Regent). It's a huge mother. That's his main mode of transport. For short playdates or something, he'll take the booster.

Yes, he would prefer to be in a simple booster, but it's not as safe.

I don't have quick and fast access, but you can find video online of the difference in test crashes between 5-pt-harnesses and not. Found it (and yes, I kept my daughter rear-facing for as long as she would let me - about 20 months. Her brother was rear-facing till 12 months.)

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

Race car drivers and airline stewardesses are in them because they are the safest (less head/neck injury).

I was reading some online posts (here on MDC) on car seats (for toddlers-preschoolers) from mothers who have done their research and learned of new car seats (besides Britax) on the market that are very highly rated and have newer features. Here ya' go:

Safeguard Go
Looks like a simple booster, except it has a 5-pt-harness up to 60 lbs!!!
And it is lightweight, folds and comes with a carrying case!
http://www.safeguardseat.com/go/index.htm

Gogo Kids Carseat traveler (wheel your big Britax car seat instead of carrying it) $89
http://www.theportablebaby.com/gogokidz.html?

Safeguard Carseat (similar to Britax Marathon) 22-65lbs - 5-pt-harness up to 65lbs!
http://www.safeguardseat.com/child/features.htm

Compass B500LP - folding booster car seat
http://www.compassbaby.com/product_B500.html

Recaro Young Sport car seat - 18-40lbs 5pt-harness, then a booster up to 80lbs. It very padded, looks comfy and has side-impact protection
http://tinyurl.com/fubjj

Radian - folds, fits children up to 65lbs in 5-pt-harness
http://www.sunshinekidsjp.com/Pages/radian.html

I'm happy with my Britaxes. But I might get one of these for my toddler as a back-up for traveling.

To answer your question... yes children stay in car seats that long. My son is almost 6.5 and he's not leaving his car seat any time soon.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i agree with the pp, go with the marathon, its always best to go with the higher weight range, even in infant seats. ds was a BIG baby, so outgrew his infant seat at 3 1/3 mths because it only went to 20lbs. since your baby is only 5mths, you can't be sure how fast his weight might fluctuate........plus, kids do really stay in seats that long, wouldnt you rather be in a nice hugging chair than a hard plastic thing under your butt?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Go with the Marathon. Both my children are in the Wizard/Boulevard (the Marathon with more bells and whistles), and will be until the seats expire (when they turn six). It's not a matter of what they prefer...safety takes precedence.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
i just got a cosco scenera. I'm gonna be getting ds a britax booster within the next 6mos. ds#2 will use the cosco. until he gets his britax booster.

if i had had the money though i'd have gotten a britax convertible. but then we aren't in the car very much.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
I'd go with the Marathon (and in fact I will as soon as my twins outgrow their Britax Companions which is an infant carseat). The Roundabout & Marathon are equally great IME, but the Marathon simply lasts the child longer. My oldest is 5 1/2 and still in hers. She's not petite (not large either - but relatively tall for her age and about 55 lbs I think). She's never asked about being put in a booster and until I have no other choice she'll be in a 5-pt harness (safety first!). We've been very happy with our Britax seats (we've owned a Handle With Care, Roundabout, Advantage, 2 Marathons which my older dds are in now, and 2 Companions which my twins are in). Can't go wrong there.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
We have a cosco alpha omega elite.....simply because we couldnt afford the price tag on the britax seats. ours is pretty good for what it is, and if has pretty good weight ranges, and turns into a belt positioning booster. BUT If money wasn't a problem ,i would get a marathon in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I think the price is totally worth it. I think true side impact protection is the way to go. I did not look at the links to check out the other seats but for us, side impact protection built in is a wonderful feature.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We are a poor military family so the Britax was out of our price range.
We got an Evenflo Triumph Premire and love it! It has knobs on the side to easily adjust the straps & also memory foam padding. My DD loves her seat and has never fussed at being strapped in. Also, it fits well rear facing in our small car. We are planning a second child in the next year or so and will get DD a 5-point booster and use the Evenflo for the next baby, so we don't really need a super high weight limit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...71014?v=glance

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
We have brought all 3 of our boys home in the Alpha Omega and I have been very happy with it. When #2 came along we moved #1 to the Alpha Summit, the booster 5 point harness version of the Omega. Now #1 is in a booster. I would love to put him back in a 5 point, but I don't think it would work..lol..

So #2 is in the Summit 5 point and will stay there for a long time. He is tiny for 3.

#3 is 12 weeks old so he will be rear facing for at least 15-18 months still. But I really like the look at the Safeguard the PP linked. might have to watch for the price to go down and get one for #2 or #3.

Good luck finding one you like!

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
After I did a ton of research, I only wanted to buy Britax for ds1 years ago. Britax seats are still awesome. So after all my research back then, we bought a Britax Marathon for ds1 ($250 including shipping with a sale at babycenter.com).

With ds2, I did a little research, but still wanted to go with a Britax. I would've gotten another Marathon, but we can't fit a rear-facing Marathon in our Subaru without fully taking out the front seats. So we got a Roundabout from Target for $189 I think (ds2 was 22" when he was born and is at 25.5" at 13 weeks, so I was on a mission to find a convertible soon).

Before you buy, definitely see if you can get your hands on one to try out in your car - they are large seats. Oh, and fwiw, in my state, kids have to stay in booster seats until 7yo... I'm going to try to keep both in 5-pt harnesses as long as I can before they're just in a belt-positioning-something-or-other.

HTH!

Lanna

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Britax is the safest that I've found researching. We have a boulevard (the size of the marathon, but has side impact protection and a knob to move the straps without re-threading)

-Angela

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Yup, you can't go wrong w/ a Britax (one of the 65# models). I would get the Boulevard though instead of the Marathon, though I love the girly prints!
If you need recs for a 2nd less expensive seat for another car, I'd get the Cosco Scenera.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi,

I posted a somewhat similar question awhile ago. After reading all of the advice and testdriving some seats, we went with the Britax Boulevard. We got it for 239 dollars at an on-line store (pm if you want the name as I don't think I am allowed to post other businesses here). What convinced me was the safety, ease of adjustability and the instant change we saw in dd happiness in a carseat. My only wish for the Britax is that it had a built in level like our Peg Perego infant seat. We have a Subaru Forrester and it fits.

Here are some good resources fyi. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/CPS/CSSRating/Index.cfm
http://www.carseatdata.org/faq.html
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/ConvertibleShop.aspx

·
Registered
240 Posts
I haven't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.
But I just wanted to say that all car seats expire 6 years from the date they are manufactured. So if you child is still a baby, it will expire way before they even hit 65 pounds (unless you REALLY have a chunker). So don't buy the boulevard because you think you will be able to use it for longer. The Boulevard does have the True Side Impact Protection Wings though.
Also make sure to try out the floor models in your car to make sure it fits before buying it.

~Melissa~

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
even though they do expire in 6yrs..... i would still get it if money is no problem, because it has very high slots meaning if you have a tall child it will last the 6yrs.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Ryleigh's Mommy~
I haven't read through all the posts, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything.
But I just wanted to say that all car seats expire 6 years from the date they are manufactured. So if you child is still a baby, it will expire way before they even hit 65 pounds (unless you REALLY have a chunker). So don't buy the boulevard because you think you will be able to use it for longer. The Boulevard does have the True Side Impact Protection Wings though.
Also make sure to try out the floor models in your car to make sure it fits before buying it.

~Melissa~
I'm not sure I follow your logic- the next lower weight limit on britax is 45lbs for the roundabout. I don't know of ANY 4, 5, or 6 yr olds who can still fit in a roundabout. I know plenty of 4, 5, and 6 yr olds who could still fit in a boulevard.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
We have an Evenflo Triumph Deluxe and love it.
I remember a few people saying that the crotch strap for the Britaxes got too short to go over their child's thighs. My baby is huge(always above 95th percentile) so I didn't consider a Britax for that reason.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockStarMom
We have an Evenflo Triumph Deluxe and love it.
I remember a few people saying that the crotch strap for the Britaxes got too short to go over their child's thighs. My baby is huge(always above 95th percentile) so I didn't consider a Britax for that reason.
I've never heard that and there are plenty of pictures of bigger/older kids in the britax seats. I think that wherever you heard that they didn't understand how the straps are supposed to sit.

-Angela

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
I've never heard that and there are plenty of pictures of bigger/older kids in the britax seats. I think that wherever you heard that they didn't understand how the straps are supposed to sit.

-Angela
:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts