Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we have a couple more carseats to buy. i was thinking about getting safeseats (we have a graco double stroller so we could use them with it). i know with twins there more likelyhood that they will be smaller than our other kids were. do safeseats fit small babies well? anyone by chance know if you could fit a safeseat, a nautilus and a blvd in the third row of a montana/venture type van?

· Registered
6,419 Posts
I don't like the fit of newborns in the SafeSeat. I know alot of people love them, but honestly I just put my 6 hour old 9 lb nephew in one and had to use a washcloth at the crotch. His shoulders were fine at the straps, but smaller babies are often below the bottom slots. The Keyfit is MUCH better.

As far as the back row...I have a Venture but I have modular seating, with 3 buckets in the 2nd row and 2 buckets in the 3rd row. My friend has a Sillhouette with a bench in the back and I had a RF Marathon and FF Radian and my hubby squeezed in between, so it would be a pretty tight squeeze.

Congrats
:
:

· Registered
2,296 Posts
One thing I Like about my Radian versus both of my Graco seats (Comfortsport/Snugride) is that it fits my newborn BETTER!! There is one crotch buckle setting on the Radian that is WAY back there... I mean my 8lber was sitting on top of that thing! And he was pretty short--just 19"--but the strap height was perfect. It'd also help you fit that 3-across your back seat.

You could get 2 Radians, of course then you'd have to carry 2 newborns for awhile. Or, you could get 1 radian and 1 infant seat and just wear 1 twin and put the other in the infant seat/stroller combo... just alternate twins of course

Good luck and congratulations!!

And here's some pics of my 3 day old in the Radian:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t...newborn+radian
Scroll down for the better pics w/o all the extras.
(post 24)

· Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
any idea what the top slots are on the keyfit? we have some looong torsoes in our family and that is alot of cash for 2 seats if we're not gonna get much use out of them. i'm gonna go see if there is a review at cs.org

· Registered
7,052 Posts
Is there a place close to you that sells the seats you're interested in? You could wait until the babies are born and then see how long their torsos are. If they'll fit in the safeseat, then you could send dh to go buy them before you need to drive the babies anywhere. Or, buy the carseats close to your due date and return them if need be to get something smaller...

· Registered
5,447 Posts
My dh was in a car accident last week and we had to replace our carseats, including the Companion that was installed. She hadn't even ridden in it yet.
We got a safeseat instead b/c it will ikely last through the winter and we can keep her warm going from house to car, etc. I'm actually a little disappointed in it. It's very hard, not cushy, and it doesn't have the SIP pillows the Companion did, which made it seem so much safer. I wish I'd gotten another Companion instead, but not enough to send this back and wait another week for the Companion. It's an ok seat, and doesn't look too terribly big for a newborn. I have 9lb newborns, though.

· Registered
5,447 Posts
The safeseat is already growing on me.
I put the cover back on (I washed it yesterday b/c it was pretty stinky) and put her in it. It's a really pretty seat. It's MUCH taller than the Companion was, so I can see it will last quite a bit longer. Her shoulders are almost even w/ the 2nd slots, and she's 2 weeks old, 20" long at the doc's yesterday. So I can't imagine it would be too big for a normal sized newborn. They may make inserts for preemies, but just b/c you're having twins, I wouldn't assume they're going to be early or tiny. I have a friend irl who's wife had a c-sec scheduled at 37.5 weeks w/ their naturally conceived triplets, and all 3 babies were over 6lbs. Well, I can't remmeber exactly, but I remember the boy was close to 7 and the girls were around 6, 1 might have been a little under 6lbs, but not much.

· Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
anna, was it you that said you were able to fit little babies snuggly in the scenera? i may do 2 safeseats and 2 sceneras....

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Here's a pic of our youngest in his SafeSeat when he was almost 3 wks old.

He was 9lb 3oz at birth and approximately 12 lbs there. You can see that it's a little roomy, but he quickly filled it out! Since it was sold separately from the stroller, it goes to 30 lbs vs the usual 22. That's good for us because he's 25 lbs at 9 mos and we're getting much more use out of this seat than the infant seat we used for the older 2.

The straps were nice and snug for Thomas, even at the crotch. His head lolled around a little, though, even with that cushion thingie.

· Registered
10,424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironica View Post
I dunno, it could be an interesting experiment if you always wore one and had the other in the stroller ;-).

(Joking... just JOKING!)

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Ilana was 6#7oz when she came home and barely fit in her SS1. W/ twins I'd hands down get the Chicco Keyfit, I wouldn't want to risk it. It's rated from 4# and fits small babies great! I know Ilana didn't quite fit in the Scenera at 8#, the straps were livable but they should've been slightly tighter.

· Registered
6,419 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by aja-belly View Post
anna, was it you that said you were able to fit little babies snuggly in the scenera? i may do 2 safeseats and 2 sceneras....
I put a 3 lb 12 oz baby and her 4 lb 2 oz brother in the Scenera. The bottom slots were below the shoulder by about an inch, but the straps wouldn't tighten enough. They didn't get the seat since they were well below the weigh limit, and there was about an inch of slack with the straps tightened all the way. My 7lb newborn fit just fine.

· Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so someone on cs.org mentioned that the baby trend flex loc fit bitty babies well (although it appears to be from 5 lbs). i think we might try to find those at big lots and concentrate on what convertibles we want after that.

· Registered
6,300 Posts
Thanks, I think she's pretty cute too! I should post a pic now w/ all her curls.

My only problem w/ the Baby Trend is you have to have the handle down in the car, so if space is a problem keep that in mind. Besides that I don't have any real issues w/ the seat.

· Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
handle down - good to know.

someone on the cs.org board just said the safeseat has lower bottom slots now (6 inches). AND they said britax is rumored to be making a bigger higher weight infant seat. makes my head spin!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.