Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD has a Britax Marathon carseat. We kept her rear facing until she was about 15 months at which point her legs were getting too long to be rear facing and she was very uncomfortable. So we switched her forward facing. I just read that you are supose to keep them rear facing until 18 months, right now she is 17 months old. My question is how do you keep them rear facing when their legs stick out? Even reclining the position of the seat did not give us enough room for her feet. I am not asking to be flamed here as I realize it was a mistake to turn her so soon but feel that other mommas may have the same question. So any information would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Hi! I'm a formerly-Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician or car seat tech. A child is actually quite safe to rearface well past the legs touching the back of the seat. First of all, they will naturally bend their legs to get into a comfortable position, which is actually more comfortable than being forward facing with their legs dangling unsupported. Secondly, there are no documented cases of a child's legs being injured from being rearfacing "too long." Unfortunately, there are a plethora of cases of injuries to children who were forward facing "too soon."

In your Marathon, she'll be able to rearface until she's 33lbs or until the top of her head is within an inch of the top of the seat (though Britax sometimes allows it to go as far as the top of the ears being even with the top of the seat). My 2.5 year old DS is still rearfacing in the Britax Roundabout, the smaller seat, and has some room to grow!

This is one of my favorite rearfacing sites and has lots of pictures of kids rearfacing till 2 or 3 years or longer!
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

Just remember that rearfacing will always be safer than forward facing, so the longer you can keep her rearfacing, the better! As always, though, a properly installed car seat makes a world of difference. Make sure to have your seat checked by a certified child passenger safety technician and have them teach you the ins and outs of your seat and vehicle!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
In that link, you can see my AJ!
He rf till 34mos, 34# and about 37". Evan is 27mos and still rfing, and will be for a long time since he's only 24#.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thepeach80 View Post
In that link, you can see my AJ!
He rf till 34mos, 34# and about 37". Evan is 27mos and still rfing, and will be for a long time since he's only 24#.
How cool! I have pics I've meant to send in to the RF galleries and never did!

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ladies. I guess I will have to teach DD to bend her legs. As far as I knew it was ok to turn her at 1 year and 20 lbs as a minimum. Now the only problem will be tunring her back around now that she can see what we're doing... and eating.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post
This is one of my favorite rearfacing sites and has lots of pictures of kids rearfacing till 2 or 3 years or longer!
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

LOL, until I saw that site I couldn't picture a RF 3-year-old. My dd is so tiny she'll probably be RF until she's 4. Dh was also skeptical until I showed him those pics.

Also the AAP recommendation now states that "best practice" is to keep them RF to the seat's upper limits. I was happy to see that since so many parents go by what the AAP says.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
AJ was rfing for over a year when I turned him back rfing. He loved it and didn't mind at all. He still asks to ride like that, but is too heavy now. Evan has been ffing too before for different things and rf again just fine.

·
Banned
5,868 Posts
At two years four months DS is not quite 30 lbs. I am willing to guess we will probably be three or close to it before he hits the 33 lb rearfacing limit.

DD OTOH is 16 pounds at one year. I'm thinking she may be rear-facing forever

·
Registered
406 Posts
I thought the same thing until I did some research thanks to some great info on MDC!!!!

My dd only ff'd for about 3 days before I turned her back around. I was concerned that she was too cramped because she has VERY long legs, but she is 18 months old now, is 33" tall and rides very happily rf'ing!

Here's a pic taken when she was 16 months old:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i307/hornofs/1844.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
Two things - My son is 22 months, 25 pounds. He is happily RF. Today, my mom picked us up because DH was fixing my car and my mom needed me to run errands with her. She usually watches my niece who is 29 months old (and, unfortunately FF) so her seat is installed all the time. I tried to put Jackson in my niece's seat and he flipped out yelling, "No, Momma. No! Bad seat!" As soon as I turned it around, he was happy as a clam!

The second thing is this - when I watch my niece and have to go somewhere, I just take the spare seat out of DH car and install it in my car so I have 2. I install my niece RF because she's below the limits and if she's in my care, she's going the safest way. She loves it! I tried to reason with my sister to turn her back RF, but it's inconvenient for her...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.