Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five year old had a sensitivity to milk protein when she was a baby. I stopped eating dairy while I was nursing her, and she didn't have dairy until she was over two. We thought she had outgrown the sensitivity, but the OT recommended that we cut it out again and see if it helped her.<br><br>
We have had her on a casein-free diet for 6 weeks. The only difference that I have noticed is that she no longer holds her poop so long that it leaks out onto her underwear. She used to do this and get poop smears in her underwear sometimes as often as a few times a day. We didn't know why, and she couldn't tell us why, but she is very sensitive to smells and frequently sits on the toilet holding her nose.<br><br>
So ... she doesn't like being casein-free, and it is more expensive for us, and I don't know whether the poop issues have improved because of the casein-free deal or because of the OT.<br><br>
The logical thing to do would be to give her casein again and see if there is a difference, but then if we decided to take her off it again, it would be a real battle.<br><br>
Any ideas or advice? Does the poop issue sound like it could be related to a casein sensitivity?<br><br>
dm

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
My Ds is sensitive to Casien as well. When he drinks milk or has too many dairy products (casien) his poop gets runny and he gets tummy aches. He also has a hard time regulating his behavior/actions. He is on a modified diet. No straight milk (we do rice milk instead) but he can have very limited dairy products. He gets to make the call because he knows how his body feels. By going this route instead of absolutely no casien he is happier because he doesn't feel limited, he has some control. And I found my shopping bill isn't giagantic because I'm only adding rice milk.<br><br>
We first went completely off but then he decided he wanted to try some again, so we introduced small amounts. I pretty much let him call the shots on this one.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would try it for a couple more weeks and then try her back on caisen again if there is still no big change. When I removed gluten from ds' diet, it took 6 weeks to see big results(we saw little change at all before 2 weeks). We have since added caisen and gluten back in and he did well with both.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Our DS2 is very sensitive to dairy - he won't touch it (except ice cream he does want to try sometimes) so I think he knows it makes him feel bad. He gets bad tummy aches, his reflux really increases to the point where he doesn't sleep for a couple of nights after eating some, and he gets very mucousy stools. He had some ice cream on Sunday and was up every 1-2 hours that night crying and squirming, very refluxy sounding throughout the day, and the last couple of nights haven't been that great either, although slowly improving. If you DD doesn't have other symptoms with dairy it might be worth trying her on it again - hard to say with her stool issues whether it would be the diary or not. Our older son who is autistic and non-verbal had no obvious symptoms with dairy except whenever I gave him milk or yogurt he would chew his thumbnails until they were bloody. I took him completely back off dairy for about six weeks or so and he stopped chewing his nails. We started him on digestive enzymes several weeks ago and since then he has had no problems at all with dairy - in fact some days all he wants to eat is yogurt. His stools are much more normal than ever and he doesn't chew his thumbnails at all.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which digestive enzymes do you use?<br><br>
I will admit that I was hoping that taking Ramona off dairy would help with her emotional sensitivity that manifests in crankiness, obstinancy, and weepiness, but it hasn't helped. (The OT said it might.)<br><br>
I have noticed that her stools don't seem as sticky as they used to be, and they are a different color ... and maybe they don't smell as bad, but I'm not sure about that.<br><br>
dm

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
i am intersted in knowing what type of digestive enzymes as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
We use Houston AFP-Peptizyde, which was formulated especially for kids on GFCF diet but works mainly on proteins including casein, gluten and soy, and we also use Houston Zyme Prime, which is intended for complex carbs and fats but also is supposed to help bloating and gas from lactose intolerance. Once we started those enzymes within a few days our son's willingness to eat increased dramatically - he has gone from being 100% tube fed to eating 100% orally (except we still use his tube for fluid supplementation). His stomach does not bloat nearly as much and as I mentioned above his stools have improved tremendously. He has also been gaining nearly a pound a week (he was very under weight before) since we started the enzymes and since he has been eating orally, so we are very happy right now with his response to them. I am planning to try them with our younger son as well but I am anticipating a more difficult time getting them into him so I just haven't figured out my game plan yet with that. We have the powdered version of the enzymes so the taste is more of a factor - with our older son I started just mixing them in a little water and putting them through his tube - now I can mix it directly into his food and he does fine. Our younger son is much more unpredictable in how much he will eat and what he will be willing to eat right now! (Never thought I would be saying that!!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts