Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning Everyone. I like to make casseroles for the family to eat on desperate days during the week, take to lunch, snack on, etc. I experiment a lot and end up with some real horrors that we choke down and some awesome combinations that disappear in two days.<br>
I was hoping to do a little less of the experimenting and get some yummy, healthy favorite recipes from you folks--as warm weather rolls around, I want less and less time in the kitchen. I recall someone mentioning a quinoa casserole and would love to hear more about that.<br><br>
So here's my recipe from today, which turned out really well:<br><br>
2T Olive oil<br>
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes<br>
3 cloves garlic, chopped<br>
1 medium yellow squash, quartered and sliced<br>
1/2 C frozen peas<br>
2 C whole wheat Penne (uncooked)<br>
1/2 jar Organic Vodka Sauce (from Trader Joe's)<br>
2 oz Mozzarella Cheese<br>
1 oz feta cheese<br>
2 C water<br><br>
Preheat oven to 350 degrees<br><br>
Heat oil, add red pepper flakes (to taste--we like it spicy) and garlic, saute for 2 minutes. Add squash, saute until softened then add frozen peas. Stir until peas have defrosted and separated. Stir in Penne and Vodka sauce. Transfer to a casserole dish, sprinkle with Mozzarella and then feta, add water. Bake tightly covered for one hour.<br><br>
If you use an oven safe skillet from the beginning, you save a step and a dish. You could also add chicken breast if you like.<br><br>
Your turn!

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I made this last night and it was delicious:<br><br>
Creamy Chickpea and Tahini Casserole<br><br>
1) mix 3T tahini and 3T lemon juice until well blended, it will get kind of fluffy and lighter in color<br><br>
2) Saute 1 diced yellow onion and a few cloves of minced garlic in 1T olive oil. Add 1T each dried parsley, oregano, thyme.<br><br>
3) spray the bottom of a 9x13 ovensafe dish.<br><br>
4) dump 2 cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and 1 28 oz can of diced tomatoes into the dish, add onion mixture. mix well.<br><br>
5) mix in the tahini mixture<br><br>
6) bake for 40 minutes at 375 until browned on top and bubbly.<br><br>
serves 6. This is DELICIOUS. just finished leftovers for lunch. Yum! My boyfriend liked it with Tapatio/Tabasco mixed in (he likes things spicy).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts