Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here is the situation. I purchased a new unseasoned cast iron skillet today at out local grocery store ($9). I scrubbed it out, dried it out on the stove top, then put a really really light coat of lard on it. I set the oven to 400 degrees, and put the skillet in upside down with a cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil on the rack under it to catch any potential drips. I had the windows open in the kitchen along with the exhast fan on oven the stove. Well, within 15 minutes my whole house smelled nasty and started filling up with smoke. I have birds (they are one of the many reasons I got rid of my teflon) that I don't want to harm, not to mention my family, so I stopped the process. What did I do wrong? Is there another way to season the pan? I don't own a grill, so I can't do this outside. If this is the only way to do it, will it harm my birds? Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I've not worried too much about doing the whole oven thing, but then again, I've also not had totally new cast iron...

When I feel the need to reseason mine, I just dry as you described, then oil them lightly while they're still warm. Sometimes I turn the burner on under them too.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
A couple of years ago I received a new piece of cast iron. I found it much harder to season than my old pieces were.

I used these instructions from Lodge. I didn't have solid shortening or spray oil, so I rubbed on a thin coating of canola & wiped off the excess with a paper towel. It smelled a little funky, but not too bad & it definately wasn't smoky.

The biggest problem I had was that I had to reseason it after the first several uses. It was really hard to get it to hold the finish evenly.

Dh helpfully pointed out that I probably could have avoided all that extra work if, after the initial seasoning, I'd deep fried in it instead of using it in the oven. He's probably right.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Quote:
Dh helpfully pointed out that I probably could have avoided all that extra work if, after the initial seasoning, I'd deep fried in it instead of using it in the oven. He's probably right.
Doesn't even have to be deep frying. Any frying will do.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info!
I am going to try the lower temps and making some bacon a couple of times to see how that works.

Oh, and another question comes to mind - would seasoning the outside of the skillet be a fire hazard when used later on the burner?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It shouldn't if you're using a very little bit of oil. The oil is absorbed into the iron. I always season my pans at VERY low temps. Sometimes in the oven, sometimes just on the burner. If I'm using the stovetop I have to set a timer for myself, though, otherwise I often forget about it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts