Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here heard of using castor oil packs to strengthen a c-section scar?
A midwife I know who I totally love and respect told me about these. I did use them for my first VBAC but I'm wanting more info. Do they really work?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've heard of this before but frankly it makes absolutely no sense to me. How could a castor oil pack you are putting externally help the internal scar on your uterus? The scar on the belly means nothing.

Could someone please explain the reasoning behind the castor oil packs?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamatolevi View Post
I've heard of this before but frankly it makes absolutely no sense to me. How could a castor oil pack you are putting externally help the internal scar on your uterus? The scar on the belly means nothing.

Could someone please explain the reasoning behind the castor oil packs?
thats exactly why I'm asking
I don't really understand either...

anyone??

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
never heard of it... but I have heard of strenthen by rubbing vitamin E on your scars on our belly around the scar as it seeps through the skin and will actually get to your scar on the uterus... of curse you'd have ot do this from the get go of a pregnancy (or even before). I wouldn't bother started a couple of days before delivery or anything.

you can also take the vitamin internally. that makes a heck of alot more sense to me tha castor oil.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
never heard of it... but I have heard of strenthen by rubbing vitamin E on your scars on our belly around the scar as it seeps through the skin and will actually get to your scar on the uterus... of curse you'd have ot do this from the get go of a pregnancy (or even before). I wouldn't bother started a couple of days before delivery or anything.

you can also take the vitamin internally. that makes a heck of alot more sense to me tha castor oil.
Yeah I would think that just taking vitamin E tablets would be more useful than just rubbing it on the external scar. That just seems silly to me.

Steph

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I use castor oil packs to dissolve ovarian cysts. I've never heard of them for this purpose though. The whole idea of "strengthening a scar" is very odd to me. I believe excellent nutrition is the first thing to try.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Fat soluble vitamins absorb VERY well transdermally, some say they absorb better via skin than through the GI tract. Castor oil hotpacks for strengthening your liver is a well established cure... why not for uterine scars???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.