Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new man that I've been seeing is allergic to my cats! I have 2 cats and even though I do sweep before he comes to visit me and he does take his allergy pills he still has issues with them. At the moment he's been taking some generic allergy stuff that's worked well for him BUT he's doubled the dose and it's not good for him at all and he's also started to feel the affects of the cats.

I'd like to suggest a few things for him to try,but he's also allergic to most plants so may have trouble taking something natural.

I don't have carpet and do sweep/mop before he comes to visit most times anyway and lately have opened the window for some fresh air hoping that will help a little. The cats love him,but he doesn't touch them to much.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Sweeping will not do anything. Cat dander is SO small. It will get into every crevice of your home. So much so that I, as an allergic person to cats, cannot even BE in a home where cats WERE... as in I can't buy a house that ever had cats in it... even if you have no carpet, even if you sweep and mop (which really won't do anything.. it will only stir up the dander. It's too small to sweep.

He can try prescription meds. Zyrtec or Singulair would be a good place to start. Does he have asthma? If he does, he's putting his life at risk by being around the cats, especially not medicated properly.

You should NEVER double up on allergy meds. That's really dangerous, as the sedative in them can cause trouble. Or the stimulant, depending on what he is taking.

He needs an allergist, you need a vaccuum and an air cleaner, if possible. Sorry. If you guys are really going to stay together, you might need to get rid of the kitties. Sorry for the bad news.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah,I've been thinking that if we do stay together for long term what would happen with my cats. We've been together for just a month though and we are not yet boyfriend/girlfriend even. Just taking it slow. We do like to hang out at my place though and a couple times he's said he had to leave b/c he couldn't breath to well. I felt terrible!

I'll ask him if he'll consider a prescription allergy med instead of the OTC stuff he's been getting. That may help a little more.

He knows not to double up the meds now.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
If he can't breathe around them, he may have allergy-induced asthma. My DH has this with cats and dogs. Even on 3 meds (nose drops, inhaler, and anthistasmines), he still can only stay in a house with a cat for 2 hours max. before he has breathing problems. It's getting nicer out. Maybe you guys could sit outside more... or meet at his place... to get to know each other. Coming from someone who married a cat allergic person, I found that I like dogs (hairless ones) just as well.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I'm married to a cat allergic person and my DD has a cat allergy as well. I have to admit that I was not very understanding about my DH's allergy before DD was born. I could somewhat sympathize, but I didn't "get it." DH is so allergic to cats that he had severe asthma as a toddler/child because his parents owned a cat they wouldn't get rid of. He has a hard time being in homes with cats regardless of how well the owners clean. Some cats bother him more than others. We once had to leave my parents house and go to a hotel during a visit because DH's asthma flared up in response to the cat dander left behind by their cat that had been dead for 6 months. Despite these types of instances, I still didn't really "get it." Then our DD was born. Poor child was/is allergic to everything. We started noticing she has a cat allergy when she was 2 years old during a visit to a friend's house. She must have touched an area where their cat had been sitting. Within minutes she was fussy so I decided she must be tired and took her home. While I was driving I started hearing a funny noise in the back seat. I looked in the rear view mirror and was shocked to see DD's face completely swollen. Her eyes were swollen shut and she was making raspy sounds from her throat. I pulled over immediately and started administering her meds. I was so scared. She has had several more episodes like that in response to various allergens including cat. Now I finally "get it." Severe allergies are nothing to mess with. Sometimes they can't be outgrown like in my DH's case. I would suggest that if you wish to keep seeing this guy be kind to him and don't bring him to your home. If you think this relationship will last long-term you will probably end up having to find new homes for your cats. There is no way I would risk my DH or my DD's lives by owning a cat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.