Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my previous vet told us we should be either "cleaning" the cat's teeth (because plaque was bad for their heart or something?) or feeing a tooth cleaning food. after reading up on food here i am not surprised that she recommended a version of hill's, which we had been feeding him until recently. we've switched him to evo. the tooth cleaning food was big and chunky making him chew a lot--the evo is tiny little chunks.

so my question is, is the plaque thing valid? do i need to supplement with some kind of "tooth cleaning" treat/food? or is just the evo fine?

TIA!

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Dirty teeth ARE a bad thing; decay releases bacteria into the bloodstream and can, in rare cases, affect the heart. However, I am convinced that the problem is not the size, shape, or whatever of the kibble; it's what the cat eats. Plaque bacteria needs sugar to grow, which means grains. No jaguars in the wild are walking around with cavities, despite their lack of toothbrushing, because they never consume sugar or grains.

Evo should help because it's no-grain. A raw diet is the best of all, because it combines no sugar and the mechanical scraping action of the bones against the teeth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts