Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first kitten was born at ten to, and it's now half past... Is it normal for there to be such a long delay between the kittens? I'm sure there are more in there because I can feel them, plus she is still huge and clearly still in labour. What should I do, if anything?

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
It can take awhile. Grab a good book and try sitting near her away from her "birthing area" and petting her head and making soothing noises. She'll probably dash over to her birthing place to have the next kitten.

Basically, think of it as she's in the 1stage of labor over and over.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's Sapphire Clan
I did as you suggested and she just birthed number two. I hope she stays in her corner... I sent my teenage sil away (we live with the inlaws) because she kept exclaiming "OHHHHHHHHH I just couldn't eat a placenta... Why is she panting....Is there supposed to be blood?" etc... I think that helped.
Ds told sil "you need to be QUIET while babies come out of mama's ut-rer-us: shhh"

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Basically, think of it as she's in the 1stage of labor over and over.
Oh, goodness, what a fun time.
Hope she's got some major kitty endorphins going.

Labor vibes for your cat...hope she feels safe and comfortable and has those kittens soon!

·
Premium Member
31,346 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kayabrink
Ds told sil "you need to be QUIET while babies come out of mama's ut-rer-us: shhh"

that is too cute!

congrats on the kittens

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
How many babies are there? Is she done? I want to see pictures!!! Does this make you a grandmother? And a cat doula?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Ditto, give her time. She should have the kittens within about 30-60 min of each other. Most cats birth them faster, but some do not.

If she lays down, you can gently feel her tummy and see if there are more in there.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I've played doula do dozens of cat mamas... my dad used to but he always interfered (to the point of "helping" a breech kitten along and pulled it's tail off), so I took over...just leave them alone... one mama cat took quite a while, had her first as we headed to bed and #6 was born the next day at dinner. (His 2 current cats are fixed, at my insistence, thank goodness)

·
Registered
11,838 Posts
I've had lots of cats give birth, and they often take a long time. I remember once a cat had four kittens, and I thought she was done. I went to bed, and when I woke up there were 6 kittens!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Too cute!

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

She keeps following me...
Maybe she feels safer with you then.

Sounds like everything's going well. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Awww! Congrats!

I've been present at the birth of many kittens. Mfp02 is right, they usually give birth to each kitten in 30-60 min intervals.

Aww, I wanna see pics too!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts